13. Doctor Visits

"I made tuna sandwiches, your favorite!" Mason came walking into my bedroom with a plate for each of us, and the smell hit me like a truck. 

     I jumped off of my bed and ran into my bathroom, barely making it in time. I had been sick for days now, and I was miserable. 

     "Ev, did you get sick again?" Mason came rushing in quickly behind me, but I was already brushing my teeth when he got in there. 

     I nodded and Mason started nervously tugging on the sleeve of his yellow sweatshirt. 

     "E, I think it's time to go see a doctor." I rolled my eyes at him, but I anxiously bit my lip afterwards. 

     I had always sort of hated going to any doctor, I'm not sure why. Ever since my mom passed away I adamantly refused to go, though. 

     Something about going to a sterile place like that just brought me back to those awful three weeks when she was sick. I basically lived in the hospital with her, and I didn't like anything that reminded me of the bad days. 

     "Mason, I'm scared. I know that it's irrational, and stupid, but I'm afraid of going to a doctor." 

     "You'll be okay. I'll go with you." Mason wrapped me in a tight hug, and I relaxed against him. "I know that you've avoided crossing paths with any doctor since your mom passed away. You've been throwing up for days, though. I'm worried about you. We need to find out what's going on, so you don't waste away." 

     "Okay, I'll go." I was rewarded with a giant grin and a thumbs up, and I smiled. "I'm going to change out of my sweats first. I'll meet you outside in the car." 

     As aware as I was of the fact that my fears were irrational, I couldn't help it. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry at the thought of going to the doctor. I managed to change my clothes anyway. 

     It wasn't even anyone's fault that my mom was gone. They did everything that they could. I still associated doctors with the worst time of my life, anyway. 

**********************************************************************************************
     I shifted awkwardly waiting in the doctor's office, alone. Mason had come with me when I first came two days ago, but I was back for my blood test results. He had to go home, so I was doing this one solo. 
     "Good evening, Ever. It's good to see you again." Dr. Jones walked into the room, and gave me his professional smile.

     "It's good to see you, too. Do you have any news for me?" I sat awkwardly on the table when he motioned for me to take a seat. 

     "I do, yes. I thought you should sit down for it." 

     No one asks you to sit down for good news. It made me realize that I should have taken Mason up on his offer. He told me that he could just tell his mom that I needed him, and that she would understand. I didn't want to make him miss anymore school for me, though. 

     "You can tell me now, I'm ready for it." I gripped the edge of the table, and waited for him to tell me whatever bad news he had for me. 

     "Well, it seems that you're a couple of months pregnant. Is it safe to assume that young man here the other day with you is the father?" I shook my head, trying to answer while I wrapped my head around what he said. 

     I was pregnant. 

     I hadn't even graduated high school, and I was single and pregnant.