27. Welcome to the World

Chase

     I felt like a ball of nerves once I started driving us to the hospital. 

     It was insane that this morning I was putting the finishing touches on their bedrooms, and now they were coming early. 

     By the time Ever and I got up to her room, things seemed to be moving pretty fast for her. Her contractions were pretty close together, and she was still determined to have the babies naturally instead of C-section like the doctor had been pushing for. 

     "Ev, what can I do?" She grabbed my hand as another contraction hit her, and I wished that I could take her pain away. 

     At 5:25 pm on July 18th my sweet boy Christian came into the world. Ever cried when he got laid on her chest, but once she had to start pushing again I got a chance to hold him. 

     "Welcome to the world, Christian Evans. Daddy loves you so much." 

     I took in his features as best I could, and even fresh into the world he reminded me so much of myself. 

     I never had a doubt in the world that these babies were mine, but my dad felt the need to message me a couple times and inquire if I had ever even gotten confirmation that they were mine. Seeing my son, no one could deny the fact that he was mine. 

     The childish part of me felt so damn proud about that. It felt like the universe or genetics or whatever were assisting me in giving my father a big old middle finger at his behavior. 

     It took two more hours, but at 7:26 pm, Kennedy finally graced us with her presence. 

     I knew that I was biased, but I thought they were the cutest babies I had ever seen. Ever started drifting off to sleep, so the nurses took the babies to clean them up and I pulled out my phone to let Danny know that both of his grandbabies had finally come into the world. 

     Thirty minutes later, I was holding my son wrapped in a little white blanket, and Danny was holding my daughter. 

     I rubbed Christian's little nose and smiled at his adorable face. I couldn't believe how blessed I was. 

     I never believed that I could love someone as much and as selflessly as I did the second I met both of my sweet babies. I wanted to give them the world before they were born and now...that feeling was just so much more intense. 

     "You know, they both look just like you already." I looked up and smiled at Danny, and then looked back down at Christian. 

     He did seem like he was going to be a miniature version of me, but I wasn't sure if Kennedy would look more like me or her mother. I hadn't gotten much time with her since Ever held her before she got taken away for a bit since she was going to sleep while I stayed up with the babies, but then Danny came in and picked her right up. 

     "You really do look like a little clone of daddy, don't you? Here's some advice, never let the girl you love get away, son. Love is the most important thing in the world. You're probably going to be a real heart breaker someday, kid. I hope I raise you not to hurt anyone along the way..."

      It suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks how terrified I was. 

     There were two whole people that I had to raise. I had to teach them right and wrong, and love them no matter how much wrong they did. I didn't want to mess them up. 

     "Chase, you'll do a good job. I can tell."

     I looked over and saw that Danny was still studying me, and I gave him a little shrug to play it off like I wasn't worried about it. 

     "I sort of wish my dad was here, you know? I'm glad that you are...but it really sucks that he isn't the one telling me that I'm going to be okay at this whole parenting thing. I don't know if he's even going to ever meet my kids. I'm glad that they have one grandpa that loves them, but I want  the sun, moon, and stars for them...having my dad care about them should be such an easy thing to give them. I don't want them to grow up and wonder why he isn't in their lives and wonder why they weren't good enough for him to come around for."

     "Chase...I'm so proud of you. I'm proud of how far you and Ever have come, and seeing you with your kids...I know that you're going to be a great dad. Way better than I was, that's for sure. I'm sure life will throw you two some curve balls, but I have all the confidence in the world that you two can get through it. Don't you ever question yourself or how well adjusted those babies will be. They're going to have amazing parents, a super cool grandpa, a fun uncle Tanner and a goofy uncle Mason. They're going to be great, okay?" 

     I nodded my head, and looked back down at my son and hoped that Danny couldn't see my tears. 

     It might've felt better if it was my dad telling me that he was proud and believed in me, but having any dad tell me those things...it made me emotional. 

     I was determined to always be the type of parent that my children could talk to no matter what. I pressed a kiss to Christian's forehead, and then traded babies with Danny to spend some bonding time with Kennedy before I had to wake Ever up to feed them. 

     "Holding Kennedy reminded me of holding Ever as a baby. God, I missed so much of her life. I'm so glad that she's in my life now and that I'm not missing out on seeing her be with the man she loves, and have children."

     I looked up from Kennedy to see Danny opening crying, looking at us.

     "So, you don't hate me for getting your teenage daughter pregnant?"

     "It might now have been the best timing, but everything happens for a reason. You can't deny that these two little bundles of joy are a blessing. I don't hate you. Just...try to wait awhile before you give me anymore grandchildren."

     I raised an eyebrow, and laughed. 

     "As far as I know, Ever and I weren't together last time we saw you. What makes you worry about us having more kids together?" 

     "She'll forgive you eventually. She loves you. She's just trying to be a good mom and put the kids first. Once you prove to her you're really sticking around for good, you'll be back together. I don't think you'll ever split up once that happens."

     "She actually took me back this afternoon. Before she went into labor, so it wasn't the heat of the moment talking."

     Danny gave me an approving smile, and quietly started talking to me about business. Like discussing work while holding his newborn grandchildren was the most logical topic in the world, but I just listened without a word because I liked him being so nice to me regardless of the topic.