15. Surprise Encounters

EVER

   My dad and I entered the apartment that he had set up for us to look at, and I was impressed. It was open, and I loved it. 

     The furniture in the living room was pretty plain, but I planned to keep the pre-furnished setup so that my dad didn't have to spend more money on furniture that my kids would ruin. Babies are messy. 

     After we took the tour around, the perky real estate woman turned to my dad with a flirty expression on her face, and I couldn't help raising an eyebrow. 

     "So, what do you think?" He looked over at me, and I gave him a little nod. 

     "I guess it's perfect, really. This apartment is exactly what we were looking for. Nothing too fancy, three bedrooms. Plus, it's close to the library that Ever is going to be working at. As far as buying a place for my seventeen year old daughter goes, this place seems good." 

     "When will she be eighteen?" The woman managed to even ask that while batting her eyelashes. She was trying to sell more than just the apartment. 

     'In a couple of months. July. I'm going to put this place in my name until then, and get it switched over on her  birthday."

     "Are you going to be paying the monthly rent even after it's transferred out of your name?" For once, she sounded like she was working, and I appreciated it. She was pretty, too pretty to shamelessly flirt with her clients. 

     "I'm not the renting type. The apartment is for sale or rent, I'm choosing to buy it. Cash, up front. I want to close on this as son as possible. Ever needs to be able to settle in before she has her babies."

     "That's so sweet of you to buy your daughter her own place for her family...do you have a wife or any other kids at home?" 

     "There's an apartment a few floors up that I would like to purchase as well." I couldn't hide my smile when he breezed past her question. "I need to have a place to stay in the city when I visit. I saw the pictures online, plenty of bedrooms. I need the extra space when I babysit the twins. Can you get the paperwork started on that for me as well? I don't have to see it first." 

     I could see the wheels turning in the real estate woman's head while she just stared at my father. 

     "It isn't going to be cheap. Are you sure that you're ready for that monetary commitment?""

     "Money isn't a problem. Just make it happen, please." She nodded, and gave him a tight smile. 

     "Okay. You'll hear from me within a few days." We all said a polite goodbye, and the second my dad and I were in the car we erupted into laughter. 

**********************************************************************************************

     In no time at all, I was living in the apartment in the city. I was working full time at the library, and I did my classwork online on my breaks and my days off. 

     I still had a long way to go in my pregnancy, and I was already getting exhausted way too easily. By the time I got done with work every night, I pretty much fell into bed. 

     I stood up from where I was kneeling in front of some shelves putting books away, and groaned. Soon I didn't think I would be able to get back up off the floor without some help. 

     I turned around and saw Mason standing across the room near the door, watching me, with a smile on his face.