32. Congrats, Grad

Chase

     I looked out at the audience, and located my family right away. My wife looked like a million bucks, and my kids were dressed up, too. Somehow, Ever had gotten both of the twins here without them getting their hair or clothes messed up. 

     I cleared my throat, and leaned in slightly towards the microphone on the podium. 

     "I wanted to welcome you all here tonight. I know that the big graduation ceremony is in the spring, but on behalf of me and all of the other students graduating tonight, thank you so much for coming and supporting us. I know that this wouldn't mean anything to me if it wasn't for the people I love. My beautiful wife and my two amazing children...them being here is everything to me., and I know that my classmates feel the same." 

     I paused because I could feel myself getting emotional, which is something that I didn't quite expect. 

     "Success and following your dreams doesn't feel like success without the people you love there to enjoy it with you." 

     I knew that the classwork was a lot easier here than the Ivy league I had walked away from, but it still felt like an accomplishment to graduate at the top of my class. 

     "Thank you so much for listening to me talk. Congrats to my fellow graduates, and I wish you all the success in the world."

     When the ceremony was over, I smiled at the sight of my wife standing there with my kids. Kennedy was wearing the same dress as Ever, and Christian was dressed the same as me. 

     I was over the moon knowing that I would finally be able to provide for my children, too. I would have a job that paid well to give them the life they deserve.

     "How does it feel, college grad?"

     "I feel like a king right now. Not even because I graduated at the top of my class, I love what it means for our family."

     Ever nodded, and gave me a long kiss.

     "I promised these two ice cream for being good."

     "Is that why my little monsters are being so quiet?" 

     Christian nodded his head enthusiastically, and Kennedy gave me a big grin. 

     "Yes, daddy!" 

     Even shrugged, and then laughed. 

     "Hey, dessert appeals to them. Just like me!" 

     "There are worse things the three of you could be into."

     "It's already Saturday, and you start your new job Monday. Tanner told me that he'd like to take you out to celebrate. What do you think? It's your only chance to go out, I'm sure you'll work like crazy all the time like my dad."

     I knew that I should do it. Or, that Ever really that that I should do it. All I wanted to do was go out and get ice cream with my family. Then, maybe I could cuddle up on the couch with them and watch a silly animated movie with them. I loved when we did that. 

     "Ev, will you be upset with me if I don't?" 

     "It won't kill you to go out and have a little bit of fun, Chase. You've worked hard. You should celebrate that with your brother."

     I groaned, and nodded. 

     "Fine. I'll go out with Tanner tonight. Not until after the ice cream, though. Plus, I want to help get the kids ready for bed."