31. What Happens in Vegas

Chase

     We got into the hotel room, and I watched Ever pull her phone out of her pocket. She was in an oversized sweater and leggings, but leggings came with pockets now, I guess. 

     "Hey dad, we just go to the hotel. Chase is going to grab us some lunch, and then we're going to start the festivities. I noticed you got the room pretty stocked up. Thanks for that. Yeah, we'll have fun. Call me if the kids need anything." 

     I watched her face light up, and she nodded, even thought she was on the phone and he couldn't see her. 

     "I love you too, dad. See you on Sunday." 

     Time had been flying like crazy, and it was already September 15th. I would be turning twenty-one tomorrow. Ever's dad arranged for us to spend the weekend in Vegas. He owns a casino here so that Ever could go in even though she wasn't twenty-one. 

     "I'm going to go shower, okay?"

     "I'll go get some food. See you soon." 

     I gave her a quick kiss, and headed in search of food for us to prepare for a weekend of partying it up. 

     Almost two months ago, Ever had turned twenty. Our sweet babies had turned two. I would be graduating college in just a little over two months, and in general, everything was just perfect. 

     The only thing that would be more perfect would be if Ever was finally my wife. Her dad told me to man up and propose to her on this trip, and the ring was burning a hole in my pocket. 

     I grabbed some fast food, and when I walked back into our hotel room, Ever was already out of the shower and dressed. 

     "You know, you're more beautiful every time I see you." She rewarded me with an eyeroll, and a big grin. 

     "My dad got us enough alcohol to get a dozen grown men wasted for an entire weekend. What do you want to start with?"

     "He told me he wanted us to have plenty of options." 

     Ever crinkled her nose, and then launched in on her plans for our weekend. I loved listening to my beautiful girl talk, even if it was just about the plans for the weekend. She had planned every second of our trip, but she had no idea that I was going to mess up her plans. After over two years of carrying the ring around, I had to do it this weekend. I had to ask her to marry me.

     "What are you the most excited for?" 

     "Getting to spend a night alone with you, without the kids. I can't remember the last time we didn't have to rush through-"

     "Stop it, we do not always rush." She rolled her eyes, and then sighed. "Okay, maybe we do. I'll make sure it's amazing, though. Consider it a birthday present."

     "It's always amazing, because you're amazing."

     "I love you."

     "I love you more, babe."

     "We should eat the food you got before it gets cold. Then, we need to start our fun. We only have the weekend, after all."