36. Twelve Years Later

Christian

     Kaycee was wearing a black and white dress and looking around her bedroom when I came in. It was all pink and teddy bears, and I was pretty sure she had out grown it a couple of years ago. 

     "So, how does it feel that you're turning twelve tomorrow?"

     She turned around to face me, and crossed her arms. 

     "It feels fine."

     She got our mom's face, and she really lucked out in that way. She still had the same tan skin tone that Kennedy and I got from dad, and his green eyes, but she had mom's nose and mouth. 

     "Just fine?" 

     She shrugged, and sighed. 

     "How does it feel that you're turning fifteen next month?"

     "Fifteen isn't a big deal. Mom and dad are out on a date night, and I just wanted to see if you wanted to watch a movie or something?"

     "Did Kennedy dump you for the  night or something?" 

     She flicked her hair over her shoulder, and narrowed her eyes at me. Her attitude was more fit for a sixteen year old, not an almost twelve year old.

     "Kennedy climbed out her window two hours ago."

     "One of these days it's going to catch up to her. The sneaking out and doing whatever it is she does. Mom and dad will not be happy."

     I sighed, and shook my head. 

     "We aren't going to say anything about it. She's not doing anything wrong. She's just having a little bit of fun. Now, what movie do you want to watch?"

     Kaycee rolled her eyes at me again, and shook her head. 

     "I changed my mind. I don't want to watch anything with you. Goodnight." She turned away from me again, and I groaned. 

     My sisters always seemed to be at odds, and I couldn't understand why. 

     "Kennedy just likes to have fun, Kaycee. She doesn't deserve for us to be buzz kills about it. Just because you think she's being bad, it doesn't mean that she is. I'll see you tomorrow. Get some sleep, maybe we can do something tomorrow."

     I was almost to her door when I heard her whisper. 

     "Are you going to defend me like that in a few years?" I turned, and Kaycee was facing me again with her arms crossed tight, and a frown on her face. "If I want to sneak out of my window in a few years just to have a bit of fun like Kennedy, will you help me like you help her?" 

     "Kaycee, it's complicated."

     She snorted, and shook her head. 

     "That's how it always is with you! You and Kennedy are in this exclusive twin club, and I'm just on my own on the outside!" 

     I didn't want Kaycee to feel like an outsider. We were all siblings, the three of us. I couldn't help that Ken and I were closer...she was my twin. She was every bit of wild that I wasn't. I owed it to her to keep her safe and out of trouble. 

     I took a deep breath, and nodded. 

     "I'm sorry that I've made you feel that way. I love you both equally, Kaycee. You're the baby of the family, and we're all going to protect you a little more than you probably want us to."