28. Five Months Later

Ever

     I threw on a blue skirt, pulled on a tank top and jacket, and ran into Christian's room to pick him up. 

     I grabbed a blue fuzzy baby blanket, and wrapped him up in it before cradling him in my arms and rocking him. 

     It was already December 18th, exactly five months since the twins were born. With Christmas a week away, I was excited. 

     In retrospect, I know that the twins were a few weeks along this time last year, but I didn't know about them at the time. 

     I was determined to make sure that their first Christmas was amazing. 

     Even if they wouldn't remember it. I would. 

     Chase came in wearing an outfit that matched mine without us even planning it, and I couldn't help but smile. Now that I had lost all the baby weight, I was actually feeling good about myself again, but I was too tired to flirt with Chase to make anything happen regardless of my confidence. 

     I looked at the green bundle in his arms that was our daughter. 

     "I know that they like to be together, but don't you think it's crazy that they cry if they wake up and they're not in the same room?" 

     Chase looked down at Kennedy, who had finally stopped crying now that she was next to Christian, and then back up at me.

     "Trust me, Ev...whatever makes my little trouble maker stop crying, I'm all for. Maybe we should just put her crib in here. We can separate them when they're toddlers. What do you think?" 

     I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his shoulder, and nodded. It felt like we were waving a white flag, but I didn't know what else to do. 

     "Here, give me Kennedy and go get her crib. We'll put them right next to one another, and then they can both lay down and nap. I'm hoping that if they nap in here, we can actually finally decorate the tree."

     Chase nodded, and put Kennedy in my left arm and I quickly walked over to the chair so that I could sit with the babies. They were getting heavier, and it was much harder to hold them at the same time than it had been when they were smaller. 

     I had expected to have Kennedy attached to my hip all the time, and Chase expected Christian to be the same way with him. The twins preferred one another over anyone else, but Kennedy's second favorite person in the world was her dad. Christian seemed to feel the same way about me. He was a mommy's boy, and I ate it up.

     I was terrified that our brand new relationship might fall apart once the babies got here, and that the pressure of being new parents would just be too much for Chase and I, but I was so wrong. I was actually pleasantly surprised, because it just made us better. 

     He was still doing perfectly in all of his classes, and taking a full class load. Chase was still around plenty, but I made sure that he didn't let having a family derail his future. 

     "I love you so, so much." I kissed Kennedy on the head, and then leaned over and kissed Christian. "My sweet little babies." 

 ******************************************************************************

                                                             Chase

     I walked back in with the crib, and Ever had  both kids asleep already. I carefully took one at a time from her arms and set them in their beds.