23. The Talk

I walked into the living room with a bowl of cereal to watch something while I ate breakfast, and stew over the fact that Tanner and I had avoided our talk all day yesterday regardless of that fact that he had promised me we could talk. 

     The second I sat down, there was a knock at the door. I groaned, not wanted to get up. 

     "Tanner isn't here, but if you want to come in anyway, the door is unlocked!" 

     I looked up at the sound of the door opened, and quickly shuffled to my feet to set my bowl down on the coffee table. Standing in the doorway was the last person I ever expected to see show up this morning. 

     Ever was standing there in a green t-shirt and jeans, looking flawless. I nervously glanced down at myself, standing there shirtless in pajama pants, and gave her an awkward smile. 

     "I'm not going to lie and say it isn't surprising to see you, but it really is the best surprise I could have ever gotten." 

     I had a million questions running through my mind, but they evaporated once I took a second to really look at Ever. She was exactly like I remembered her. The same sad but stunningly beautiful eyes, the same perfect face, but there was one difference I couldn't ignore. 

     Her stomach. 

     Once my eyes focused on that belly of hers it took everything inside me not to burst into tears. I was really going to be a father.

     "I'm really excited to be a dad...to have a baby with you..." Ever started crying, and my heart hurt. "Ever, what's wrong?" 

     "You don't have to pretend that this is what you want. I know that I wasn't in your plans. There's no way that having a family is." 

     I sighed, and nodded. I couldn't argue with her on that. 

     "You're right, it wasn't in my plan. Now that it's happening, though, it just feels right." 

     I watched her take a few breaths and wipe her tears away. Even when she was crying, she was still perfect. 

     "I have been absolutely miserable without you, Ev. In my eyes, this baby is the universe bringing us back together. It was a mistake for me to leave you, and now a higher power is making it right. We're meant to be together. You're my forever, I know it." 

     I couldn't tell what she was thinking, and I was honestly a little bit worried. Her silence was scary. If she didn't want to be with me anymore, it would kill me. 

     "Are you planning to stick around? What's your current plan here, Chase?" She sounded so controlled that if I hadn't just seen her crying with my own eyes, I never would have known. 

     "That is a fantastic question, I'm glad that you asked. I'm going to the university here in the city. It's only seven minutes from here, so that's a quick commute. I'm going to be taking summer classes starting in two weeks, and then in the fall whenever the baby is born I can cut down the number of credits I take. I will be here. I want to be involved, in all of it. I applied to this school before I ever knew about this baby, because I missed you so much." 

     "You would really take less classes and graduate late to help with the baby?" I nodded, and she smiled. 

     It was such an obvious thing to do, what anyone would do. I wish that she had the faith in me to know I would make that choice. 

     "This is my child, too, Ever. Of course." She burst out laughing, and I frowned. "What's so funny? It is my child. Why are you laughing?"