chapter 34- good things never last

california king bed - rhianna

Three weeks later

"He's beautiful," I murmured as I gazed longingly at the palomino stallion.

When Connor had called me this morning and asked me to visit him at the farm, I was hesitant. It had been years since the two of us sat in the pastures and watched the horses roam, and I was scared that it would be absolutely different. But I was wrong.

As soon as I pulled into the driveway, Connor was dragging me out to the barn to meet the new stallion that had just arrived.

"He is, isn't he?" Connor grinned. The pride and love that he had for the horses and animals in general never failed to make my heart melt.

Whenever he talked about them, Connor always had a breathtaking smile. Being surrounded by animals made him happy, and seeing him happy made me ecstatic.

"Hey C?" I asked. "What do you want to do after graduation?"

"I applied to a couple state schools." He answered as he brushed out the horse's coat. Connor then cleared his throat and looked over his shoulder at me. "And I've gotten some offers to play football at some schools."

My mouth dropped open in shock as I stared back at him. "This season just started though? You already have offers?"

"I played at my old school, so most of the offers are from junior year. But yeah," He laughed.

"Anywhere good?"

Sighing, he stopped brushing the horse and began to walk over to the wooden fence where I was sitting. "Troyvens."

"Connor Monroe Harding!" I yelled. "You have a scholarship to play football at Troyvens, and you didn't tell me?"

Connor was trying his hardest to hold back the enormous grin on his face. Playing football at Troyvens Creek had always been a dream of his, and he had actually gotten an offer. It was amazing. He was amazing.

"I didn't want to make a big deal."

"Connor." I sputtered. "This is a big deal playing there is your dream."

"I guess it's pretty cool." Connor kicked the rock lying at his feet as he laughed.

"I'm so proud of you." And I was. I was also a little bit upset that he had never told me, but that was beside the point.

All those years of Connor waking up early to go to practice, the late nights, the injuries, the setbacks. It was worth it. The blood, sweat, and tears that Connor had put into football were paying off, and I couldn't be happier for him.

"Thank you, Hope," Connor whispered. He had walked up to me and since I was sitting on top of the fence, we were face to face. His deep blue ocean eyes were swimming with emotions. Happiness. Excitement. Love.

And as I stared into his eyes, Connor leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. His calloused hands cupped my cheeks and sent a ripple of warmth through me. God, did this kid know how to kiss.

Connor gently bit my lip, and his tongue darted into my mouth, exploring every corner. His kisses were setting my body on fire, and as much as I wanted to continue, we were sitting out in the middle of a pasture, where everybody could see us.

It seemed like Connor got the same memo because he pulled away, resting his head against mine. As the both of us came down from the high of our kiss, Connor traced the outline of my lips, as a lazy smile graced his lips.

But our peaceful bubble filled with happiness popped as a firetruck red, truck sped down the driveway.

"Fuck." Connor muttered. He quickly grabbed my hips, helping me off of the fence before grasping my hand.