chapter 13- late nights

ghostin' - ariana grande

A week after my accident at the lake, my mom was finally letting me out of the house. Not that she was willing, though.

"Hope, are you sure you want to go?" She asked.

"Yes, Momma," I was putting on my shoes, trying my hardest to stand my ground politely.

"You don't want to stay and help me cook dinner? We could even watch reruns of your favorite show." She was wringing her hands, showing exactly how anxious she was.

"Mom," I grasped her shoulders, "I would love too. But, that's what we've been doing all week, plus, I already have plans to meet Layla at the diner for lunch."

"Alright, alright." I kissed her cheek and then grabbed my purse and keys.

Throughout the week that I had been lounging in the house, there was only one thing going through my head; Connor vs. Jack. Who would win, you ask? The hell if I knew.

When I got to the diner, Layla was already sitting at our usual table.

"Girl, your face. Oh, my God." She brought her hand up to her lips.

"I know, I know." The swelling of my nose had gone down and was pretty much gone, but the nasty bruise was still there and going strong.

"Does it hurt?" She asked.

"Not really," I said as I poured a packet of Splenda into my sweet tea. "It just looks super bad."

"Have you talked to Jack recently?"

"No." I shook my head.

Jack had come to visit me the day after the whole fiasco and brought me a large bouquet of roses. The funny thing was, Connor had also stopped by and dropped off a bouquet of daisies. But that was beside the point. Other than coming to see me that one day, he hadn't been back since. His texts and calls also seemed to be coming in less and less.

"What a jerk. I mean first, Jack broke your nose. Then he sends you flowers that aren't even your favorite and then practically stops talking to you." Layla huffed. She tucked her dark curls back behind her ear and sighed.

All of a sudden, I felt a pair of calloused hands go over my eyes.

"Guess who?"

"Connor?" I spun around to see Connor and his new girlfriend.

"Hey, guys. You mind if we sit with you?" He asked. Um, both of them? Yikes.

"No! That's not a problem." Goddammit, Layla.

"Oh! By the way," Connor wrapped his arm around the brunette's waist, "This is my girlfriend, Aspen."

She was so pretty it made me sick to my stomach. Her brunette hair was perfectly styled and stopped right below her shoulders. With barely any acne, long eyelashes, and freckles sprinkled across the bridge of her nose, it looked like she had just stepped out of a magazine. Not to mention her figure. Aspen made me look like a piece of paper compared to her.

"It is so nice to meet, y'all. Connor has told me so much about both of you." She smiled. She was nice too? Ugh.

"All good things, I hope." Layla laughed. I couldn't even form a response, I was so taken back. I couldn't believe that Connor was here with his girlfriend and she was nice

"There's nothing bad I could say about you, Layla. H, on the other hand..." Connor started. He had a mischievous glint in his eyes, and his breathtaking smile was present. I wanted to punch him in the face.