chapter 30- heartbeat

supermarket flowers- ed sheeran

Since Jack had been dragged out of the cafeteria in handcuffs, I have been a mess. My mind was constantly racing, thinking about our relationship over and over again.

Was there anything I could have done differently? Did Jack cheat on me because I wasn't good enough? Did I cling to him too much? Or did our relationship just get boring? My thoughts were plagued with negativity and self-doubt 24/7. No matter what, I couldn't shake the image of Jack being flanked by police officers and the anger and confusion written on his face.

"Hope..." Connor's voice was strained as he stood in the doorway of my room. He was worried about me, it was obvious.

I was sitting on my window seat, staring out at the empty field in front of my house. I had the window pulled open and was enjoying the cool breeze against my flushed skin. It was unusually cold for Texas, but I was extremely grateful for the change.

"Are you ready to head out?" Connor asked.

My parents had gone out of town for the week and insisted that I bring someone with me to my OBGYN appointment. I had persistently said that I could drive myself, but my mom shut down that idea every time. She ended up calling Connor the day before she left, and he was quick to say he would take me.

"Mhm." Reluctantly I stood up and followed Connor out to his truck.

Once we were on the highway, Connor turned the radio down and shifted his gaze to me. "Are you excited?"

"I guess," I shrugged. To be honest, I was scared. Each time I went to the doctor, I got stares from middle-aged women who didn't know how to mind their own business, and the nurses always whispered about me. Not to mention, doctor's offices kind of freaked me out, and as lame as it sounded, I wished my mom was here to hold my hand.

"Well," Connor chuckled. I'm excited. I've never been to one of these before."

"It's not that interesting." I laughed.

"That's easy for you to say. You've probably been to a million of these."

"I've been to two. This is only my third one."

Connor's jaw dropped, "You're kidding."

I shook my head and turned the radio back up. I think Connor could tell that I was anxious, and he let the conversation drop.

Although I really wished my mom was with me, I was appreciative of Connor. He was taking the time out of his day to be with me. He could have been anywhere, but he was with me. That had to mean something, didn't it?

When we got to the doctor's office, it felt like a thousand butterflies had been released in my stomach. I was anxious to see my baby and extremely apprehensive to step foot inside the medical building.

The dimly lit waiting room, with old gossip magazines and the quiet hum of the outdated television, did nothing to soothe my uneasiness. Neither did the wrinkled woman sitting behind the check-in desk.

"You can't just be having a revolving door of visitors come with you to each appointment." She snarled.

"I'm sorry. My mom is out of town and –"

"Well, he can't come into the back with you unless he's family."

I felt Connor step up behind me, his frontside briefly brushing against my back. "I'm her boyfriend, and I hope it's not an issue that I want to see my baby."

The woman simply sighed before turning back to her computer and answering the ringing phone. So much for southern hospitality and manners.

"Boyfriend, huh? And your baby?" I raised my eyebrows at Connor as we sat down.