A very Holmes Sunday dinner on a Thursday

When we got to Father's Uncle Lestrade met us by the door with a bag of groceries. I swap him for my coat and roll up my leaves. Cooking time!

1h later as the Writer's is very very out of it

I hear the door being opened and tense that is till I hear Uncle John chaste Dad for attempting dramatics again. I'm pretty nervous this is apparently the first time Dad's stopped for food in the middle of a case. We've kept the surprise from Uncle John because he didn't want him distracted, or so Dad claimed. Personally, I think it's for correcting Dad earlier when he called him his friend. Anyway, I call Father to help me bring the food out.

Mycroft's pov

I hear Everett call for me as Gregory sets the table, the look on John's face is hilarious especially as Sherlock exclaims he's starving, I even have to chortle as he falls out of his chair. I walk into the kitchen to find a full feast; a lamb dinner; roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, sweet and carrot mash, peas, corn, broccoli, cauliflower cheese, thick meaty gravy, shallots, Yorkshire pudding and cabbage. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open for at least 5 minutes by which time Sherlock joined me also starstruck. Everett turned around and began laughing and crying and laughing from our faces. I slowly start snapping out of it 'B...b...but you've only been in here an hour!' Sherlock chuckled 'I haven't seen your Father this astounded since we were very small. And I've only ever seen him speechless one other time. It seems you can't help but shock your Father!' Everett just turned back to the food as I shook myself out of it; indeed, I've only been speechless a few times but what Sherlock doesn't know is it was twice; once when he was born and once when my son was born.

We sat there eating, just the five of us. It felt like a traditional family dinner. Almost like a normal family have with insults flying but also stories and general feelings of love and acceptance. It was the best night I had had in years, my brother and I were slowly beginning to mend our relationship due to our son and isn't that a strange thought. 

Once we'd finished dinner I brought out a selection of desserts I'd made. John said 'He's growing up to be just like you two, you know. he's always investigating something. Yesterday I found him deciphering one of those codes you like leaving everywhere.' Sherlock replied 'But there are some things he definitely didn't get from me, that kind of courage and loyalty can only come from one place. His Papa was a joker but he was so courageous and kind, his Mum was loyal and sweet but boy she had a temper at times.' 'Really?' '

 And then turned to Sherlock 'I hear Everett learnt how to play the violin the other day.' 'Yes it was insane, John do you still have the recording?' John nodded affirmation and brought it out. Everett seemed to sink in his seat. Once the recording had played put I turned back to Sherlock 'it seems we have a true musical genius in the house, I downloaded this off the security footage the other day of his first go on the piano.' I proceeded to play the video. By the end, all 4 of us adults were in awe of the young man's prowess on the instruments. Mycroft broke the silence 'That was amazing!'

3rd person POV

The Holmes' all headed off to the library after Greg and John adamantly told them they'd do dishes. 'Brother dear do you remember our convocation many years ago about mind guardians?' 'Yes only powerful wizards have them, Merlin was rumoured to have 3.' 'Yes well our son has once again beaten the odds, well I think the word thrashed is more an appropriate term, he has 7, 6 hatched and we're still waiting for one.' 'Well, you couldn't do things by halves can you?' Everett just sat there blushing from all the praise. Once he stopped he enquired how their mind palaces worked. They both thought about it for a minute before Sherlock answered first. 'Mine is like a literal palace. It has all the rooms I need to store information in, it also has a dungeon and courtroom where people appear and I can interact with them.' 'Whereas mine is more like a filing system. Made from millions of documents. What about your Everett?' 'Mine seems to be a mix of both, it looks like a castle and inside has many rooms but it has a central room that links to 7 main corridors, each corridor is made up of a different type of room; the first is rooms filled with family and friends, each door links to a separate room with golden balls filled with memories and a filing cabinet with information on that person. The second door leads to a library but instead of books, there are objects, when touched these objects make the filing cabinet in the centre filled with the information on that object. The third is one of my favourites, I can go into any room and bring a memory orb in and the room will transform into that scene I can press pause and play at any time to look over for clues or just to look closer at what's happening. The fourth has filing cabinets on any case I work on. The fifth is a dungeon, I haven't explored down there yet. The sixth is memory globes of people I meet. The seventh leads outside.' He opens his eyes again to his Fathers sat gobsmacked, they had tried to leave themselves prepared for surprises and keep an open mind but they still had no idea the extensiveness of his mind.