Bonus Chapter: Sunning With Chameleons

A/N: This is just a fun bit, a character development chapter with no plot movement, but hey, like I said, it's for fun.

***

Seeing that the brothers were gone yet again, Alex drew her sword in the common area and started to practice: thrusts, cuts, slice, blocks, overhead chops. The pommel opal glowed in its green and orange cracks and she felt it was urging her on.

Memories of training with a sword in a large, mirror-lined studio flowed back to her but gently, and only of practice forms. She couldn't 'see' anyone else but heard a male voice instructing her with kindness.

Alex sliced right and left and when she tried to twirl to slice an imaginary attacker behind her, she stumbled slightly and her sword sent the clay water pitcher smashing to the ground.

Instantly two chameleon guards entered, swords drawn, their color a fierce red.

"Sorry," she told them. "Just a bit of practice."

Their color calmed to a dark, leafy green.

"I'm Alex." She held her hands out palm up in the way she had seen other species doing. "What are your names?"

Each one covered her palm with one of theirs. "That is Zed and I am Zimri," the taller one said and his companion nodded. "You don't have enough room in here,"

"Zed, she's an honored guest. Let's take her to the inner sunning garden. It'll be deserted at this hour. No one starts sunning until the sixth hour."

Zed changed to a bright, excited green. "Yes! She's called a Guardian, same as her Anolis-like teammates. She saved the Council President and deserves the honor of the inner garden. Guardian, would you like to see it?"

Alex grinned. "Sounds like fun and I'll have more room for practice. Please lead on."

They walked the halls and saw the stalwart Hilto, who bowed politely at them.

"We're taking the Guardian to the inner sunning garden," Zed said. "Will you please inform Zilik?"

Hilto bowed again. "Yes, and I will bring refreshments. Guardian, I will bring cool water, sausage bites, and the stuffed dates you seem to enjoy."

"The ones rolled in sugar and cinnamon?" Alex asked in delight.

He smiled at her fondly. "Yes, of course."

Alex hugged him and he chuckled and patted her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, was inappropriate?" Alex asked when the guards exchanged amused glances.

"Not at all," Hilto said smoothly. "I am honored."

"Please tell Lok as well where we are taking the Guardian," the other guard said.

Zed nudged him slightly. "Zimri, what are you up to?"

"Oh, you'll see." Zimri's green color once again brightened in excitement.

Hilto backed away slightly and bowed again. "I'll shall make sure both are notified and meet you there with refreshments."

The guards led Alex through a maze of hallways lined with stone floors. Statues of the various species, mostly in sedate poses although a few brandished swords, lined the walls. They opened large wooden doors into a desert oasis. A fountain bubbled out of a giant sea-blue vase and filled a large circular pool. The ground was gravel, and palm trees dotted the area, while large, flat-topped boulders were scattered about. It was surrounded by ten foot stone walls. Zed and Zimri made short work of inspecting the garden and then motioned Alex inside.