The Beginning of the End? Ch. 11.1

Cale walked out into the living room. "She went to bed and told us to curl up on the couch and keep each other warm."

"I want to know why she left the hospital," Gabe said.

"How's it feel to want?" Rile sneered.

"I suggest we follow Alex's request," Cale said with a sigh. "She's tired and hurt." He plopped in the middle of the couch. "Well, come on." He patted the seat next to him.

Rile flung himself next to Cale, roughly shoving his middle brother, but Cale only grinned at him.

Gabe took a more dignified seat on the end of the couch away from his brothers. Cale rolled his eyes, stretched out, and then curled up with Rile.

"He's a jerk," Rile whispered.

"He can't help himself," Cale whispered back. "The eldest son and our team leader has his own pressures."

"Stop sticking up for him."

"No. I have my job, too."

***

All three were asleep when the soft sobbing started from Alex's bedroom. Cale un-twined from Rile, who awoke. They crept to the bedroom door and pressed their tympanums to it.

"What are you doing?" Gabe asked.

They froze at Gabe's voice.

"Keep it down, idiot," Rile hissed. "I don't want to be blasted."

"Clan bed, Gabe," Cale said. "Our teammate needs us. Now be quiet." Cale turned the doorknob. "Alex, it's Cale. Please don't blast me."

"Go away," she sobbed. "Stalker."

"Please let me check that chest tube site."

"It's fine. Go away. Please?"

"Gabe's being a jerk and won't curl up with me. I'm really cold and stiff."

"You are?" Alex asked. "Where's Rile? Isn't he with you?"

"Right here. I don't feel well, either. Those fire truck Anolis females beat me up pretty thoroughly. That makes me colder and stiffer, too, so I can't help Cale."

"Fire truck all those Anolis females for hurting y'all. Get in and warm up. One of you on each side of me for maximum body heat," Alex said. "No talking. Definitely no praying. It has the opposite effect."

"No praying," Rile said cheerfully.

The two brothers carefully climbed in on each side of Alex and the bed creaked under the extra weight.

"I'll order y'all an electric blanket off the internet tomorrow. I've never seen one in a store here."

"What is going on?" Gabe asked from the doorway.

"Shut up." Cale said, alow, warm rumble that seeped out of the middle brother. "Either get in with us or leave."

"Since when do you tell me to shut up?"

"Since your brain stopped working around Alex. Now shut up or leave." Cale laid his head back down, daring to snuggle a bit closer to her.

Alex put the pillow over her head. "Sleeping now."

Gabe slid next to Cale stirring up the fresh, clean scent of Cale's hide with that hint of eucalyptus.

*****

Morning light streamed through the tiny bedroom window and onto the four sleeping forms in the bed.

"Razz?" Alex's hand squeezed Cale's shoulder.