Release Me Ch. 3.2

In the carriage, Alex sat on the same seat as Zilik, but as far away as she could manage. She looked out the window.

The seat backs were carved of red acacia wood the and smooth with use and age. Her feet rested on the silk upholstery and the seat cushions were made of the finest silk and velvet.

Light and airy like a freshly opened book, the air's scent was warned by the morning sun.

The buildings were red brick, adobe, or stone, all with thick walls to keep out the heat, and most were one story, with an occasional two story building. They were orientated along an east-west access to reduce solar heat gain.

"I'm sorry," she said at length, not looking at him. "For last night."

"For what last night?" Zilik asked.

"For being a tease. Just because I'm tired of being locked up is no reason to act the way I did. I shouldn't promise things that I have no promise of delivering. I want to apologize to Lok as well." Alex turned from the window to look at Zilik.

He smiled, black eyes bright, and his color a calm green. "I'll tell him."

Alex shook her head and some of her straight brown hair came loose andswung around her face. "I'll tell him myself because apologizing via proxy is cowardly. I'm many things, but a coward is not one of them."

"I have no doubt of that. He's meeting us for lunch. I couldn't shake him off."

Alex tucked her hair back. "You shouldn't. He's your ally. Anyone willing to stand with you against those Gilas is worth keeping, Zilik."

Zilik inclined his head in agreement. "Here's our first stop." Zilik pointed out the window. "This is where the Chameleon representatives meet."

Alex stepped out of the carriage first. She scanned for trouble and was disappointed to see none. She looked at the two story, red stone building that Zilik indicated. It was decorated with grey stone carvings of various reptile species. "Pretty."

"Chameleons love embellishments on their buildings and furniture," Zilik said. "Chameleon Quarter is considered the most beautiful part of InterSpec City."

"Not that you're prejudiced," Alex said. "What's next?"

"I thought that we would walk around the representative's building so you could appreciate the statuary."

"Oh, sorry." Alex examined a Chameleon carved prominently on the entrance. It arched elegantly over the doorway and its tail curled around the lintel. "Anyone you know?"

"I won't bore you with history," Zilik said and chuckled when Alex sighed in relief.

After awhile, the buildings began to look alike to Alex and her expression turned glazed. She tried to look interested, but when she yawned, Zilik squeezed her hand and said, "Perhaps we should meet Lok for lunch."

**

Lok stood up from the sidewalk café table. He was wearing a heavy silver necklace worked into blossoms set with turquoise centers and a coral-colored silk shirt.

He bowed, took her hand, and kissed it. "Hello, dangerous and beautiful."

"Lok, I'm sorry," Alex said. "I promised things last night that I have no intention of keeping. I already apologized to Zilik. Just because I wanted out of my cage doesn't give me the right to tease you."

"It was fun," Lok said in an airy tone. "I enjoyed dancing with you, tease and all. Promise that you will dance with me again."

Alex shook her head so hard that her hair came loose again. "No. I'm never giving any part of myself to any male, anywhere, this planet or another."