Betrayal Ch. 1.2

The following morning, Rile stood next to his brother on the second story stoop outside Alex's apartment. "Open the door, Cale. You have a key."

"I'm knocking," Cale said. "It's called being polite."

"It's called being inefficient. We won't see what's going on, either. We shouldn't have waited until the morning. I don't know why I listened to you."

"You didn't listen to me. I beat you at the staff every time you tried to leave."

"Next time, we're wrestling," Rile hissed.

After a few hard raps on the door, Cale pulled out his key and fit it into the lock. He opened the door a few inches and called Alex's name. Rile shoved the door the rest of the way open and strode into the apartment. He surveyed the empty kitchenette and living room.

"I hear the shower," Cale said. "Let's go."

"You go." Rile walked to the bedroom door and laid his head against it. "Shower is correct."

Anger crossed his face. His claws dug into the wall and he pulled them down. Pieces of plaster sprinkled to the ground. He pushed away from the door, walked into the kitchenette, and opened the freezer. He pulled out the ice cube bin and dumped the ice cubes into a pitcher.

"What are you doing?" Cale asked.

"Shut up and watch." Rile filled the pitcher with water. He walked to the bedroom door and eased it open.

"Rile, whatever you're doing, stop."

Rile shook his head at him and entered the bedroom. Cale backed to the front door. He heard Alex's shriek and Gabe's hiss-growl. Rile burst out of the bedroom, running, only to be tackled by his wet and furious oldest brother.

"I'll kill you," Gabe shouted as they wrestled.

"No, don't," Alex called out. She burst out of the bedroom and slammed into Rile. "Let me do it."

Gabe disengaged to make room for Alex.

"What are you wearing?" Rile held off Alex's hands and stared at the shimmering cloth that covered her from her neck to the top of her legs.

"They're called bathing suits." Alex's neuro-electric blast went wide, sending Gabe and Cale scrambling.

"You're in the shower together and both of you are wearing clothing?" Rile laughed.

Alex's wet hand slid free of Rile's grasp and she fired at him. He freed himself and ducked behind the couch. Gabe tackled him again.

"Please don't kill him. We need him in the future," Cale said.

"That's right, the future," Alex said. "Your future. Without me. Let him go, Gabe." Alex hugged herself. "I'm cold and getting a towel."

"Alex, don't," Rile said from where he was held in a choke hold by his oldest brother.

"I'm wet and cold, Rile," Alex said. "I need a towel."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know what you meant. I'm still doing it. You took what you wanted. Excuse me." Alex fled the room."

"Perfect Eldest Son wins again," Rile hissed.

"We all lose," Cale said.

***

Rile watched the stairs to Alex's apartment for over an hour until his oldest brother left. Then he walked up the stairs and knocked on the door. "It's me."