Retrieving Alex Ch. 6.3

Not for the first time, Zilik cursed his own cleverness. Why did he send Alex to the north? Why not the swamps where the alligators hated the Anolis? Or the rainforest where the Anolis were similarly despised? Or somewhere that wasn't so cold?

He had to find her today. He was sluggish from the cold, despite the winter clothing and fires. He couldn't last another day up here.

At least the horse didn't care about the cold and trotted obligingly through the dying grass of the plains. He hoped Alex had followed due north along the river. It was his only chance to find her.

"Alex," he called out yet again. "It's me, Zilik. I need to talk to you."

His horse startled then reared, front hooves pawing at a presumed attacker diving down from the air: Alex.

"Hang on." Alex easily evaded the hooves, grabbed Zilik's hand, and in an instant they were aloft, arrows bouncing off her slipstream. "You were followed. I saw the ambush from the air."

Zilik clicked gibberish, wrapping himself around her as they flew. The horse happily galloped off, unharmed.

"Sorry to surprise you like that.  Better than being shot to shreds," she told him.

"I never . . . we never knew . . ."

"Your kind was already freaked out about me.  They would have lost their minds if they knew I could fly. I didn't want to be chained down. Now, which way do I go?"

"Huh?" Zilik was still twined around her.

"I'm heading south, but you'll have to direct me.  Where should we go?"    

"Chameleon City.  We'll be safe there. I can hide you.  How do we find it from the air?" Zilik sounded more coherent, but still had a death grip on her.

"It won't be easy. I only have this little wrist compass, but what choice do we have?"

***

Zilik recovered enough to help navigate and they landed north of Zilik's home after sunset. Alex set them down in dense foliage.

"You have to keep us alive now," Alex said as they set down in the thick bushes.

"Staying alive is a Chameleon specialty. Now follow me."

Zilik peered around before grabbing her hand and dashing out of the bushes of the Chameleon Quarter park. Once on the street, he resumed a normal walk and nonchalant manner.

"What was so important that you risked your life for?" Alex asked gloomily as they walked the streets in the dark.

She looked around at the red brick buildings with grey cornices, carvings and statues abounding in Chameleon Quarter.

"It's your friends.  According to my contacts, they, and the revolution, are in serious trouble," Zilik said.

"What contacts?" Alex asked. "What revolution? So that's what Gabe shut me out of. Macho moron. I should squeal to the Portal Guardian that he broke her direct orders." 

Zilik grinned at Alex's tirade. "Deela is my contact.  Your friends are prisoners of the Kuni. She's claimed them for her own harem.  They couldn't overthrow a children's club where they are.  I thought you would want to know. I thought you would want to help them."

"Who me? I'd get them killed, remember? I'm useless."

"Alex," he said simply.

"Of course, I want to help them. That's all I ever wanted. Well, that and strangling Cla were right up there together.  What's the plan?"