Getting To Know You...Too Much 2.1

Alex looked around the garden where they led her. It was a long rectangle surrounded by tall red brick walls and the ground was covered in tiny multi-colored pebbles.

One side was open to the rest of the grounds. There were bushes with rangy branches but purple flowers bloomed gaily on them.

Bushes with red-tipped leaves followed the brick walls and were too tall for Alex's liking. Someone could hide in those thick leaves.

Perfect for an ambush.

"Strange place for a Council member to meet a dangerous alien."

Several other Anolis females walked into the garden. One of the Anolis slapped Alex, but she stopped herself from returning the blow.

Her heart sank as Cla stepped into sight and waved aside her agents.

"Playing Chameleon now, mammal? Give up. Even their tolerance can stretch so far. Why can't you accept that you will never belong here?" Cla asked.

Alex stayed silent.

No point in replying.

"I have a message from Gabe. He says that you should keep to your own sleeping chambers tonight. I'm sure you know why and will respect his wishes." Cla toyed with her dagger, gaze fixed smugly on Alex.

The urge to strangle her rose up and overwhelmed Alex's good sense. As Alex stepped forward, she saw the glitter of Gila eyes in the bushes.

She reminded herself that Cla wanted a fight and the minute it started, she would find herself surrounded by big, bloodthirsty Gilas.

No, I want my freedom, my chance to meet the Council, more than anything else. Besides, she can't know Gabe and I are together unless ...

The urge settled back down to the pit of her stomach and clenched there, sick with the knowledge that Gabe must have discussed their relationship with Cla.

"Good night, Cla." Alex stepped back but Cla leapt forward. Alex instinctively raised her arm to shield herself and felt the sharp slice of a knife.

"Stupid mammal. You may dress as one of us, but underneath you're nothing but an overgrown chitterer. You are a burden to Gabe, one to be shed."

"I'm not armed," Alex protested and avoided the next slash.

Krav Maga or Kung Fu when I get home. They practice knife disarming techniques.

Cla tossed her a plain dagger, smaller than her own. Alex held the unfamiliar blade and felt even more lost. She hadn't practiced with a dagger, only the staff and some with a sword with the SCA.

You know knife techniques, the calm voice that annoyed Alex from time to time whispered in her head. You can access that training as well.

Alex shook her head. She figured that the minute she touched Cla, the Gilas would break her neck. They might anyway, but they seemed to be waiting.

She dodged Cla's rushes and stabs, as Cla herded her towards a wall.

"Fight. It's your only chance," Cla urged.

"Against you, perhaps, but not against those Gilas. I'm not stupid." Alex wondered where everyone was. She conspicuously dropped the knife so Cla could be seen attacking a weaponless opponent.

A huge party is taking place and no one notices a fight in the garden? Surely someone will happen along and force Cla to back down.

At least, she hoped so. Alex was tiring while Cla bore down on her. Alex looked over the grounds and saw, with a sinking heart, that two other duels were taking place.