Rescuing Razz 5.1

Alex carefully shortened her stride to match Razz's smaller frame, and they made their way out of the throne room. Sunlight glinted off the metal armor of a Chameleon guard who waved them over to a waiting carriage. She nodded reassuringly to the guard as he helped Razz into the carriage.

Razz huddled close to her in the plush interior, trembling, and Alex tried not to think about what horrors he had been through. Gently, she ran her fingertips along his neck and felt the links of a metallic collar embedded with scabs and pus. At the touch, Razz whimpered, but Alex sent soothing energy through her fingertips until he was comforted.

Once at the Institute, two Chameleon guards escorted Alex into the lobby, their scaled tails dragging behind them. She saw Hilto across the room and waved. The Chameleon brightened to a surprised orange hue and hurried over to them.

"My friend here needs a healer," Alex said, gesturing towards Razz's small, battered body. "And the collar needs to be cut off."

Hilto scratched two notes onto a worn piece of parchment with a quill pen. He paused, looking thoughtful, before adding "A healer and a metal-worker. Do you wish the metal-worker to bring a different type of metal for a new collar?"

Alex flung up her hands, her eyes blazing. "What? No! No more collars!"

Razz jerked at the sudden movement and whimpered in fear.

"Aw, Razz, I'm so sorry to scare you." Alex's expression softened, and her eyes grew warm with compassion. See held out his hands palm up, and after a moment of hesitation, Razz placed his hands in hers. Alex's touch was gentle, but firm as she enveloped his hands in her warmth. His gaze searched her face before Alex spoke to in a soft voice: "Please send food appropriate for an injured Anolis male."

Hilto's color flowed into a warm green. "Excellent, Guardian. I will send the notes to both with utmost urgency and bring the food myself."

He scribbled a third note as Alex walked to her rooms. It read: Zilik, the Guardian has freed an Anolis male and will not re-collar him.

Alex, Razz, and the two Chameleon guards walked down the hallway with its marble statues to the giant, engraved wooden doors of Alex's quarters. One guard entered, checked the rooms, then motioned for the rest to come in.

"You must be important to have guards," Razz said. "Or dangerous. Or both." He briefly glanced at the two guards who took position at the outside of the door as he entered with Alex.

"Not important and I wish I were more dangerous. Razz, what do I do with you now?"

Before he could answer, the door opened again and Rile, Gabe, and Cale spilled into the room, talking excitedly. That all stopped when they saw Razz.

"Who's this?" Rile asked, eye ridges raised in surprise.

"I am Alex's new mate," Razz said with pride and Alex's eyes widened.

I want to sink into the ground.

"Explain at once," Gabe demanded.

"This should be good." Rile leaned against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Oh, Alex, what have you done?" Cale started clacking his claws nervously.

"It's not like that," Alex protested.

"Mistress, please! Do not send me back!" Razz grabbed her hand and kissed it repeatedly.

"Mistress?" Gabe shouted.

"Razz, I'm not your mistress. Please stop doing that," Alex half-ordered, half-begged.

Razz fell to his knees, still clutching her hand. "Please, do not reject me. Do not send me back. I cannot go back to Cla. I would rather die."