Sacrifice to Political Expediency Ch. 6.2

In the large room overlooking the breathtaking vista of the red rocks and semi-arid landscape, the various representatives of different reptile species sat around the enormous polished wood table.

The Council President sat at the head of the oblong table, the landscape behind him, as if framing him. His sunset orange leather overcoat was impeccable.

In contrast, the Draconinea ambassador sat at the other end wearing a rabbit skin coat and was pointedly brushing it.

The Anolis Kuni sat on one side of him, her bronze spiked crown polished to a wicked gleam.

Only the Bearded Dragon ambassador would sit on her other side, and that was because he usually fell asleep during meetings.

Cla stood behind the Kuni, glaring at Zilik most of the time, who had decided to stand behind the Chameleon ambassador, either to protect him or to mock Cla.

Even Lok was present, although he stood against the wall, his color blending into the beige wall.

"Mammal skin coats are the best," the Draconinea said to the green Iguana ambassador next to him.

"If one stoops to hunting such menial prey as rabbits I suppose." The Iguana sniffed in distaste and the Chameleon ambassador next to him chuckled.

"Now if that is all—" the Council President said to stop further exchange. He raised a polished red rock sphere to tap on the wood table.

"There has been no discussion of the mammal issue." The Anolis Kuni cut off his words.

All eyes turned toward the Anolis Kuni, who had remained silent throughout the entire Council meeting.

"That has been slated for the next meeting." The Council President sounded amiable and tried again to rap his rock on the table.

The Kuni slammed her fist on the table to stop him. "I am speaking of the research project that has been initiated. Without, I might add, an invitation to our own experts. You cannot be sincere about our motherland staying on this 'Council' when we are blatantly ignored in such an important discovery," the Kuni stated, her tone and posture one of hostility.

The Council President looked uncomfortable as he stroked his spiked beard and shifted in his seat. He set down the polished ball. "We didn't think you had any interest in the mammal. You've been so busy with our other visitors that we thought—"

"Do not insult me with excuses. We know how hostile the Council is to us." The Kuni affixed Zilik with a hard glare. "Events like this are precisely why we are considering withdrawal."

"No slur was intended," the President said in his best soothing tone.

"I demand that our experts be allowed to investigate the mammal as a show of your sincerity."

"No!" Zilik shouted, his color changing to an angry red. He stopped and looked at his ambassador, who waved to him to continue. "I object strongly. This has nothing to do with honor or their motherland. This is personal."

"I suspected as much. We shall withdraw now." The Kuni and Cla stood up.

"No, wait. Zilik, you're out of order. The Anolis Kuni's request will be granted." The President picked up a polished red stone ball in his claws and clacked it on the table.

"Leader, she's manipulating you. She has her own reasons for this. She's jealous because Alex is the sleep-mate—"

"Silence. Zilik, don't force me to eject you. The Kuni's request is a valid one and we shall honor it as a measure of good faith," the President said.