Tell Them What?! Ch. 5.2

A knock rang through the apartment and the deep voice of the Komodo dragon guard carried equally well. "Guardian, the healer for your new Anolis male is here."

Alex, sitting on the couch with Razz, smiled and him and motioned for him to stay. She opened the door and stared at...nothing.

She looked at each guard. The Komodo dragon was impassive but the Chameleon, a merry green, winked at her and nodded downward. She looked down to see a small Gecko staring up at her with intelligent black eyes.

"That happens frequently," he said with good humor. "May I come in? I understand there is an injured Anolis male for me to see."

Alex blushed and stammered an affirmative. After an awkward moment, she stepped to the side and let the Gecko in. He wore a red lab coat with pockets stuffed in a manner that reminded her of Dr. Glick.

"My name is Master Healer Guni," the Gecko said politely. "It is an honor to meet you Guardian. Thank you for rescuing the Council President. He has always worked for peace among the nations."

Alex smiled wryly. "Hence the assassination attempt."

The Gecko smiled back. "Hence the assassination attempt. Where is my patient, please?"

She led him over to the couch and Razz shrank back, distrust written large across his expression. Alex sat next to him and stroked his back.

"He's a healer here to help. If he hurts you too much, I'll break his fingers one by one."

The Gecko laughed nervously but Alex neither laughed nor smiled.

After an uncomfortable silence, Alex sighed and said, "Sorry, I'm a bit touchy about abuse victims. Really, I won't hurt you. It's this collar: you can see it's grown into his hide and is infected."

The healer sat on Razz's other side and peered at the collar but made no attempt to touch it.

He plucked a magnifying glass out of a pocket and studied it further. At length he said, "How long has it been on?"

"I do not know." Razz looked up at Alex, who held his hand.

"You are quite an unusual color and it is beautiful. Why would your mistress treat such a valuable male so?"

Razz trembled. "I am not valuable. I am nothing."

"That worthless piece of crap called Cla is nothing," Alex snarled, earning looks of respect from both Razz and Guni. "You, however, are priceless. Master Healer, enough questions. Can you help him?"

The Gecko dug in his pockets and pulled out a blue clay jar. "I recommend treating the infection for several days with this. It will soften the scabs as well and in a few days, it will be possible to remove the collar with less pain."

Alex chewed her lip in thought. "But won't he heal faster if the collar is off?"

"As I value my fingers unbroken," the Gecko said drily, "I recommend the slower, less painful method."

Alex blushed again. "I really am sorry about that. But what if I numbed the area so you could remove the collar? Would you do it now?"

"I do have the instruments to loosen the collar from the scabs and hide, but nothing strong enough to cut the metal itself."

"It is all right," Razz said. "Do not trouble yourself."

"It is not all right," Alex replied quickly. "And it is no trouble at all. Hilto was sending for a metal worker already. I'll see what's happening with that."

She walked to the door and spoke to the Chameleon guard. He nodded and with a whistle, a messenger appeared, who was soon sent to speak with Hilto.