Rescuing Razz....Again Ch. 8.2

After a good fight and long bath, Alex slept like the dead for her nap. Razz had talked his brother down, who was now sleeping curled in a large chair. Zilik and Rile were deep in conversation when Alex awoke.

"Where is Razz?" Alex twisted around. "Where does he go?"

"He said he would be right back, but that was awhile ago," Rile answered.

"The Anolis contingency is conducting a party in the courtyard," Zilik said.

Dex woke up at the name of his brother and moaned at Zilik's words. "My poor brother."

"That's not good," Alex said. "Why would he go there, though?"

"Political maneuvering." Zilik shrugged. "There are revolutionaries as well as loyalists attending that party."

Dex started rocking, hugging himself, and moaning Razz's name over and over.

Alex jumped up, strapped on her sword belt, and sheathed her sword. "Fire truck politics and the Anolis females. I'm off."

"Alex, Alex," Zilik soothed with his voice and hands. "Politics create and recreate our world. Let Razz work. There are the Anolis revolutionaries there, not just the established Kuni."

"He can work just fine with me and my sword ready for Anolis females, rebels or loyalists," Alex said.

"I will accompany you, then." Zilik stood up.

"Stay here," Alex added, "Please. Dex needs you and in case Razz comes back. You know he'll freak out if there's no one in the room but Dex in misery."

When Zilik clenched his jaw in stubbornness, she said, "You don't want to be around me. I'm a political nightmare. You must stay clean to work your political magic to recreate this world without slavery."

Zilik walked over to Dex, sat next to him, and hugged him. Alex opened the door.

"I got your back." Rile followed Alex out.

***

Once at the party, Alex prowled the edges, looking and listening. Rile was reminded of a predator stalking prey. How she heard Razz was beyond Rile, but she made a beeline for a secluded corner and Rile stuck with her.

A female had a protesting Razz pinned to a couch, stroking him in a too-familiar way under his shirt, down his body, and under his pants.

No one paid Razz or the female any attention. Fury gave Alex the strength to fling that female up against the wall and pound her muzzle.

"Alex, I can only hold off so many. Maybe you should stop." Rile eyed the party turning angry mob. "I'm not one to back down from a good fight, but this will be a slaughter."

With the toe of his boot, Rile flicked up Razz's discarded gold collar from the ground. He caught it and stuffed it in a convenient pocket.

"Fine." Alex flung the female away and jumped on a table. "I have an announcement. I am the single most jealous and selfish female on the face of this planet. I do not share my mates and no one touches them except me. Tell all your oversexed and bloodthirsty girlfriends."

"I have Razz, so go, go, go," Rile urged, tucking Razz under his left arm and holding out his right hand to Alex.

"Pretend to run." Alex jumped off the table, grabbed Rile's hand, and extended her slipstream around the three of them.

She flew out at her lowest speed and at her lowest altitude possible. Her chest felt like it was bursting, she could barely breathe, her heart pounded, her head throbbed, and sweat poured from her forehead.