Post Battle Joy Ch. 10.1

Alex flew up and a cheer reached her. The revolutionaries were waving their weapons and shouting. The palace forces were down or running.

Alex flew slow circles over the palace courtyard, Kuni's body dangling.The body's now-broken neck made a dull crack against the metal of the Guardian sword.

More revolutionaries poured into the front courtyard, cheering. Warriors in the jubilant crowd leaped in place.

She landed when she saw Rile, Cale, and Gabe, but they couldn't reach her. Alex was lifted up by many arms and carried into the palace, crowd roaring.

So much for psychology. They love a winner, mammal or reptile, it seems.

Alex looked around the throne room, not seeing any Anolis males. 

I guess the females have no intention of sharing their victory celebration.

She could hear Rile voicing his discontent from some distance.  The new Kuni, bronze crown of spikes on her head, nodded to one of her guard and soon the brothers filed in. 

Someone pushed Alex forward in front of the throne.

"I thank you for your help.  I know what you wish as a reward.  Gabe is yours," the new Kuni said.

Gabe, Cale, and Rile protested as one.

Alex smiled faintly.  "You boys thought you were fighting for truth, justice, and the American way.  Wrong.  Different Kuni. Same system of slavery. Guess Deela didn't fill you in on the details of the revolution."

"We put you in power so things would change," Rile stormed at the new Anolis Kuni.

"They will.  I will be a most benevolent Kuni." She beamed and touched the massive crown lovingly.

"Then free all the Anolis males," Alex said.

The new Kuni and the revolutionaries all laughed. It sounded like cries of death to Alex. The Gila mercenaries scowled and a few growled deep in their chests. The Anolis females stopped laughing.

"I will make sure they are treated better by their females."

"A dictator by any other name," Cale cut across her words.

The female warriors leveled their spears at them.

"One mate for my help?" Alex brushed imaginary dust from her shoulder. "Benevolent? Stingy is more the word."

"What do you want?" the new Kuni asked warily.

"Cale, Gabe, and the whole palace harem. Rile is already mine."

"The whole harem?" The new Kuni, displeasure writ large on her face, gripped the throne arms.

"The whole harem. I have affection for them. They hid me overnight until I could challenge Amal, the old Kuni, for Rile. He supplied your revolutionaries with information," Alex said, not above reminding the new Kuni of where her help had come. When the Kuni glared at her, still clutching the arms of her throne, Alex gazed at her steadily and said, "You want me out of your affairs."

I'm not above using threats, either.

"You are a clever bargainer, mammal."

"A few males for an entire empire? Not hardly. A cheap price.  What do you say?" Alex's gaze on the Kuni never wavered.

"You amuse me.  They are yours.  Not a word, Deela." 

The spears were withdrawn.

"Have a nice life, boys," Alex told the brothers and turned to go. "Next time, pick your girlfriends more carefully."