Betrayal - Book 3 of the Guardians Saga

Prologue

It was a standard office room with a standard desk and rolling chair, a standard pen and pencil set with standard desk calendar on the standard desk surface.

In two standard upholstered chairs - one facing the desk and one behind - sat two standard-looking businessmen. Their suits were a careful standard grey and they were eminently forgettable.

"You found AL-X," the forgettable grey-haired man behind the desk said.

"No, Mr. Barnett, Brockner found Alex and we're following Brockner. Let's hope he reactivates the locator in her chest," the forgettable, brown-haired, man in the upholstered chair corrected.

"Grange, you'll end up dead or promoted."

"Let's hope it's the latter, sir," Grange said.

"I won't bother to ask how you found out. Do you know why the North Koreans or Chinese or Middle Eastern terrorists don't have her yet?" Barnett asked.

"Not enough money—" Grange started.

"The Koreans have already paid quite a bit and might be out of cash. That doesn't explain the Chinese. They have bottomless pockets."

"Governments are in too much turmoil; those who paid may be out of power; Brockner can't get in touch with them, or maybe he's just plain double-crossing them." Grange shrugged. "Middle Eastern terrorists are religious zealots. You can't predict them well."

"Maybe it would be good to know," Barnett said. "And predict your best. You're supposed to be one of the best."

"Yes, sir."

"Oh, stop with the 'sir' bit. You know what you must do. I want her whole. The rest of the agency isn't fussy about the number of pieces she comes back in. Good thing you're a slick one. They agreed to let you try first," Barnett said.

"I'd like to see her whole, too," Grange agreed.

"I suppose there's no harm in having a little personal interest as long as it helps you accomplish your goals. Good luck."

"Thank you." Grange turned to go, but paused at the door. "Suppose I loosely define 'getting her back'."

"How loose?" Barnett asked.

"We'll see."

"Grange, I'm trusting you on this," Barnett warned.

"I'll do what's best. My record speaks for that."

"That's what I'm afraid of. Grange—"

But he had already left.

*****

A/N

Here it is! Book 3! Since I don't have a cover and am worried about reads, it was an easy decision to place it with Book 2. Maybe I can beg for another cover !

Dedicated to the loyal readers hanging in there, both old and new! I can't list everyone, so I'll do my best

Oneofakindbelike

Cocosghost

Rather_Be_A_Unicorn

RainerSalt