20: More Than Your Respect

"The truest form of love is how you behave toward someone, not how you feel about them."
~Steve Hall

"I want to say thank you to my partners, thank you to the optical department, research team, the design team, the public administration team, the testing team. You guys are amazing and also I would want to thank someone who wasn't part of the team but rather a part of my team. My fianceé, Anna Wilson."

All eyes turn to look at me and the anger in my face as a result of Keffi words vanishes away. I look up with a little smile at him to find him grinning up from the stage and he mouths an "I love you," causing my smile to increase.

After his speech, we make our way home, it was Friday so there was no need for me to go back to my place.

Over the next thirty minutes drive home, we remain silent. I didn't say anything because I was lost in my thoughts.

I couldn't stop thinking about Keffi and what she said to me and I didn't know what to do either. I know my job is to keep Eli thinking that I am Anna and in the last week I think I've got it done perfectly, but what if what ruins everything isn't me? What if what ruins everything is someone from the outside, someone whom Eli is fond of, someone like Keffi, what then? Anna would never want to hear that outside forces ruined her marriage, she would end up linking it to me one way or the other and dragging me down.

A few days ago, I didn't even know about the existence of Keffi and now she's a bigger threat than ever because she's determined and has nothing to lose.

She also loves Eli and everyone who is an observer can see by the way she is around him. She loves him and seems to do good for him which is more than I can say for Anna.

Eli loves Anna though and I don't know why, but nobody knows why we fall in love the way we do, if we did, we probably wouldn't.

My goal now is to keep Keffi who might genuinely love Eli away and keep Eli's heart fixed on Anna who may not even give a damn about him.

"You have been quiet for too long," Eli say and I feel his hand rest on mine making me jolt a little.

I sigh and turn to stare at him, my eyes softening as they settle in his, "Just thinking, about the wedding that's all." I say the first thing that comes to my mind.

"What about the wedding?" He enquires, lacing his fingers in mine and the heat of his hold engulfs me.

"It's three weeks away, a lot can change before that day." I give in to my worry, using the same line Keffi had used earlier.

That woman.

"You think that I might call it off?" He ask with slight displeasure.

Not how I would put it, but yeah.

"Why are you marrying me?" I ask instead of replying because though I tell myself it's because he loves Anna and would do anything for her, I don't think love is enough to make one willing to risk everything and choose someone against all odds.

He brings my hand up to his lips and kisses the back of it and that causes me to shiver, "Because I love you, because you complete me, because when I look into the future, you in it is what makes sense. You were with me in my darkest times and I cherish that more than anything."

My eyes grow glassy and I look away from him because of the guilt that plagues my heart. This man doesn't deserve to be treated this way when his only offence was falling madly in love. It is also horrible that I'm greatly a part of it. Yes, the money came after, but there was a lot at stake if I had said no and a lot is still at stake.