30: Not everyone is like Anna

"At the end of the day... all you really need is someone who loves you and always has your back."
Anonymous

"Amade!" Eli calls to Amade whose back is turned to us and searching for something that seems hard to find.

He turns around and he smiles before making his way over to where we are. "For a moment I thought I was at the wrong event." He blurts out, his honesty in his eyes.

We are at the annual Hand of Hope fundraising event which a lot of companies partner with and donate to them and they, in turn, sends all those donations to various institution and charities around the world. Eli informed me that, unlike the other outings they've had which he's had control over the timing, he couldn't do anything about this one. The event started at eight pm which was thirty minutes ago and would be ending around midnight. I asked him if we really had to be present and he explained that it was his way of showing support for the cause, giving back to the community and country and he had to be there in person. He calls it the least he could do, but to someone like me who has always worked for everything since I was a little child, it felt like a lot.

Though I do not fully understand how his eyes work Eli stated a few days ago that the surgery he had over eight months ago was to correct his rod and cone and so that he could see with his eyes but in a blurry form of things hence he uses the walking aid. The glasses, however, worked to give him a clear sight. I noticed however that when the glasses went off, he did as much as possible to be alone and he has timed himself to finish everything that had to do with people and business before the clock hits nine pm. He didn't say anything about it but I know it might be because of the treatment he knew he would get afterwards, but here he is, throwing all that away to raise money for the less privileged.

He informed me about the fundraising event yesterday, which gave me enough time to reschedule myself today and finish the work at the office in order to be here. Being the start of a new week, there was a lot of orders to be met and work to be rescheduled but I did my part and was able to close early because I wanted to be here.

Eli told me that he invited Amade and Yogi Chow to be with him for the event and Amade is already here. I've never met Yogi before but Eli has spoken so fondly of her the few times that he's spoken about her that I can't wait to finally meet her.

Amade is wearing a black three-piece suit and matching trousers on a white long-sleeved which had a few buttons undone and his bearded chest can be seen through. The glasses on his face almost makes him innocent from afar off, but you'd only be a fool if you believe that.

"How many other charity events are hosting at this vicinity today?" Eli asks with his brow rising

"None," he replies after a brief thought, but decide not to dwell on it. "Good evening, Anna." He takes my hand and places a quick kiss on it.

I smile warmly and I see Eli clench his teeth from the corner of my eyes and Amade just ignores him. "Seeing you is always a delight." He gushes and let go of my hand.

"What happened to your girlfriend?" asks Eli suddenly, his tone in no way friendly.

"She became too clingy and I couldn't do that so, I had to cut her off." casually Amade replies.

"That's what you get when you stick it over and over but aren't ready to commit."

Amade shrugs, "We both enjoyed it while it lasted, I know I did. Besides, not everyone is like Anna over here." he says, beaming at me.

A young Chinese woman looking to be in her early thirties approaches where we are, wearing a blue jumpsuit and a white jacket on top of it. Her hair is in a ponytail and her pretty face has a medium make up on it.

"Yogi!" Amade calls out excitedly and wraps his arms around the lady who doesn't do likewise and just rolls her eyes. He soon figures out the response wasn't coming and pulls away. "It's so nice to see you, Yogi, how long has it been?"

"Not long enough." She replies flatly before stepping away from him and smiling at Eli.

"Anna, meet Yogi Chow, one of the partners at Aiden and co. She manages the branch in China and is a good friend. She and Amade were the first to come up with the concept of "Sight" and being blind at the time all I could do was consent and invest in the project. She is the brain behind the whole operation."

I stretch my hand to shake her but she pulls me into a tight embrace and though surprised with her friendliness, I hug back.

"Thank you for taking care of Eli, he never stops talking about you when he calls now." She whispers into my ears before pulling away.

I am grinning so hard my cheeks are hurting and I glance up and find Eli looking down at me, to make matters worse.

"It's nice to meet you too, Yogi."

"Since I will be in the country until the wedding, we have a lot of catching up to do, young lady." she pats my hands.

I smile unable to figure what other emotion to exhibit but one thing is for sure, "a lot of catching" up sounds like a bad idea to me.

"Sure, as long as you can explain to me how your brain works in a simple language that I can understand."

She laughs and nods, "It's a deal then."

We are barely done talking when we hear, "Look who we have here!" an unfamiliar voice asks from behind.

We turn around and see a thirty-something-year-old man, walking towards us, a girl who looks to have just crossed twenty recently in his arms. Eli instantly becomes cold and he clenches his teeth, signifying existing bad blood between him and the stranger and that seems to not settle well with me because Eli seem to be easy going and friendly so I didn't think he could have existing enemies. The stranger however has that smug look on his face and though I don't know him, I can already tell that he's trouble.