29: the best choice

"Love is shown in your deeds, not in your words."
~Fr. Jerome Cummings

Rule #9 be by yourself as much as possible.

My eyes peel open at the ray of sun on my face and moving around in bed grumpily, I discover that there is one less person in bed. Eli is already gone out of the room without my knowledge. He probably thought it would be best to let me sleep undisturbed.

When he said he wanted me to stay the night, I thought he meant engaging in passion-filled moments, but he was referring to spending intimate time together and that's what we ended up doing.

We stayed up pretty late last night, cuddled against each other and talking and relating with ourselves. Sight, as we hope, will stay under Aiden pharmaceutical for at least five years before even considering selling any of its shares. It was a smart move and I am glad that that was the choice they made.

We talked about the wedding and I got the chance to ask what sort of wedding he wanted to have and he revealed that he wanted a quiet wedding but was willing to go along with the way things were. Anna wanted a big wedding and Eli loved Anna and here we are.

It was nice to know that his mind hasn't changed about the wedding, but we haven't discussed the prenuptial agreement Jumai brought over and a part of me wants to tell him to include it in the wedding but that would be overstepping and would only end up bad for me. But without it, Eli was at risk of losing everything he ever worked for.

I think he knows that, he just doesn't care at this point; love does that to people. Eli is vulnerable to Anna and she seems to know and uses that to her advantage from how I see it.

Flashback.

"If your fiancée loves you as much as you claim he does, telling him the truth shouldn't be so difficult," I said while I ate the cornflakes in the bowl before me.

She grimaces, "Life isn't as simple as you make it out to be, Quynn," she says from across the desk where she stood with her arms crossed.

"It is unless you're running away to go have fun with your lover," I replied and I watch her glare daggers at me. I had said too much and was going to pay. I drank a little of the milk in the bowl before choking on it, "I'm only saying that you're paying me a hundred thousand and going through all this stress of training me. I'm pretty sure your fianceé would understand if you told him your reason if it's a genuine one."

"I can't because if he knew he'd never let me go, but this deal is important to my future and I've sacrificed a lot to get to where I am today and I need this."

Well, at least he cares enough to try to protect you.

I kept my mouth shut after that because this was the best I'd come in trying to reach her and get her in trying to know her reason for doing all this.

"I can't tell you what it is because that might leave you vulnerable with him, the training and the things I've told you are all you need to know. I will tell him about this deal when I get back to him."

And this deal things was so important you have to do it before your wedding to the man you claim to love with all your heart.

There was no reasonable reason for her to leave except that she was cheating on Eli which would be the most heartless and despicable things to do, but conclusions without facts haven't gone well with anyone and I'll never forget how angry she looked when I blurted out that she was going away to spend those weeks with her lover. I stopped trying to figure out why Anna still felt she couldn't tell Eli where she was going and why she needed a replacement because that's not going to help anybody. Since Anna's phone got picked by the strange man, numerous thoughts have run through my head, but I have done right by shutting them all out.