45: Love And Relationships

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."
~Joe Klaas

Eli's POV

Amade said he would be in my office as soon as he finishes with his assignments as well and when I told him that Anna gave us permission for the bachelor party, he was thrilled and promised that it would be a blast then I told him Anna was going to have his head on a stake if he didn't bring me back home in one piece. That wasn't what Anna said but I'd like my use of words for better emphasis.

I am almost done with the last document when the door opens and Keffi walks into the office.

She's wearing a green blouse and a plain black trousers, her hair is in a pony tail and her face having her usual natural make-up with a red lipstick sealing the deal. She looks like she's going out on a date and whoever the man is, good for him.

Keffi has always been on my team, but since the lunching of Sight her position was changed to research manager and so we barely saw each other, unless it was very important that we did. Nonetheless, she looks very well, which is good.

"Keffi, hey." I say, dropping the pen in my hand down on the table before me. "What do I owe this surprise visit?"

"I came to tell you congratulations on you wedding tomorrow." She says and step towards my desk.

He smiles "Thank you, Keffi, that means a lot coming from you, you will be coming for the wedding right? Cause I sent your invitation last week."

"Unfortunately, I won't." her response comes with a sad countenance, "It would be unbearable to stand and watch while I lose the man I love forever."

My ear rings at her blunt proclamation, but I try to sway it and slowly get up, "Keffi, don't be ridiculous, we both know that's not true." I try to brush it off and hopefully keep her in her place.

"But it is, I will lose you if you say I do tomorrow and I thought it best you know how I feel before then." Her eyes are desperate and vulnerable. "I've felt this way for a while now and I've endured in silence, but I can't anymore."

Why is everything happening suddenly this last few days, things are supposed to be going well, but instead they aren't. First it was mother and now Keffi, "Did my mother put you up to this? Did she tell you to say this and try to ruin tomorrow?"

She looks hurt by my accusations but she shakes her head, "No, I don't even speak with your mom. I just thought you should know."

Anna was always suspicious about her, I remember her words to me weeks ago when she pointed out Keffi had feelings for me and I brushed it off as her being a jealous fiancée, but she wasn't being that she was saying the truth because as it turns out now, Keffi does have feelings for me, she even claims to love me. I should have seen the signs sooner, maybe there's something I would have done, I do care about her, she's an amazing woman who is smart and strong but I can never be able to return her feelings, not as long as Anna is alive and in my life.

"Keffi, I'm sorry, I didn't know." or didn't believe that could be possible. I make my way towards her, "You're an amazing woman and any man would be lucky to have you."

"Any man but you." She laughs painfully.

I get to her and my eyes dropped to her fidgeting hands, "I'm sorry, I love Anna and I only want to build a future with her."

"She's a very lucky woman then." she painfully laughs.

I disagree, "No, I'm the lucky man."

She steps forward and her lips meet mine for what was an unexpected kiss and I'm taken with surprise and I don't kiss back, but when I felt her hands on my face, I take hold of them and pull them away before gently pushing her off.

She reaches for me again but I step back from her, "Keffi, no stop, please. I'm getting married tomorrow and the faster you accept that, the better for you. Do not ruin the friendship and relationship we have built over the years we've been together."

A tear run down her face and she wipe it off before nodding, "Yes, yes, you're right." She clearness her throat and adjusts blouse, "I'm sorry I did that, I can see that you clearly love her, Anna, and I will not go against that, but I will be turning in my resignation on Monday because I don't think I will be able to continue working at Aiden after everything that has happened."

"Keffi..." I begin to speak but she stops me.

She raises her hands, "Don't say anything, Eli, don't try to make me stay. It will only give hope to my heart and I've been doing that for years now."

I couldn't tell her to stay and just like that, I was losing Keffi, one of Aiden most devoted member, but it was for the best because I do not think I will be able to give her what it is she truly wants. Love and relationship.

..

"She did what?" Amade exclaims after I narrated everything to him that took place two hours ago between me and Keffi.

"I was just as surprised as you are when she did." I run my hand over my face, "I just feel slow. Anna told me weeks ago and I didn't believe her. Well now I have lost Keffi because of it."

"There's nothing you could have done because the only thing that's going to keep Keffi now is your love and sadly you can't give her that."

I let out a frustrated sigh, "I can't, but at the same time, we just lost our best research analyst."

"Hopefully we find someone better for the position." He said before changing the topic, "back to why am here. I already picked out a spot in the city for your bachelor's party since you didn't feel like flying to PH for it."

I cast him a glare, "I can't fly out for my bachelor's party, Anna gave me her trust and the last thing I want is for me to wake up, hungover, surrounded by women I don't know and miles away from my to be wife."

"Fine we will stay in the city and have one, I pray to God it isn't boring." he grumbles unhappily.

My phone in my pocket begins to ring and I pull it out to look at the caller ID and it's detective Kingsley who had been in charge of finding the man that attacked Anna on the railway a week ago.

I answer and place the phone to my ear, "Hello," I speak up.

"Good day, Mr Wilson."

"Are you calling with news?

"Yes, we are still yet to catch the man behind your fiancée's attack but we recovered her purse, you can come pick it up at the station today." he explains.

I get up to my feet, happy and excited. "Thank you. I will be heading over to the station now."

As I open my mouth to speak, Amade nods his head in understanding mouthing go to me and without looking back I hurry out of the office.