43: Officially Not Invited

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
~George Orwell

Coldness breaks out onto my skin and my throat runs dry as I stare at Anna's parents in awe. "You are not our Anna."

"How did you know?" my brow narrowing is the only expression my face gives even though I am tumbling on the inside.

Maria steps forward and gently takes my hand, "We were Anna's parent for fifteen years and we could tell you weren't her the minute you spoke. And indeed it has been long, but we raised Anna and we know what's unlike her. We believe that you are Cara Wilson our long lost daughter." Her eyes are glassy and filled with much hope and happiness.

I turn to look at Eli who is far away and unable to hear what we're saying, "Then why didn't you say anything?"

"Because it doesn't look like you have a choice in whatever it is you are doing here." Agada voices his reply. "I think if you had your way, you'd be long gone, leaving all this behind and staying far from it. If we were to call you anything but Anna, Eli would have figured out the truth or at least sensed something was off and we doubt you'd want that."

A gasp escapes my lips and I shake my head, "I wouldn't. It's complicated." I reply, not even knowing where exactly to start with everything as I stare at these wonderful people before me.

Even though I've found my biological parents and them, their long lost daughter and we have discovered a lot of truth about ourselves, we can't show excitement because it would only make Eli wonder what is going on.

"You should tell him," Agada suggests, his eyes going over to Eli.

The very thought causes my heart to skip and I instantly shake my head, "I can't, there is so much to lose and that's what makes it complicated. Anna will come back and when she does, all this will make sense."

Maria warms me up with a loving smile, "We hope you're right, child and we pray this doesn't end badly for you."

That has been my prayer but I lose faith with every passing day. "Me too, thank you for keeping my secret."

There is understanding in Agada's eyes as he says, "It isn't ours to tell."

"What is the name you were given, my child?" She asks curiously.

"Quynn, Quynn Hudson."

"We named you, Cara Wilson."

"It's a beautiful name," I painfully smile at them.

"And the man that took you from us?"

I turned to Agada who asked the question, "He died when I was seven." I answer and though my reply should be good news to them especially after he did to their child, it doesn't and they don't look one bit happy instead they are remorseful.

"I'm sorry you had to go through this world alone as a child."

I am lost in confusion for a moment and soon, their words sink into me and tears run down my eyes, "It made me who I am today." who I am is nothing to write home about, but I don't know else to say.

I wipe my face and dipped my hand into my purse and bring out their special invitation card for the wedding before handing it to Agada. "I am inviting you to Eli and Anna's wedding. If my prayers get answered, Anna will be the bride on that day and you will get to see your daughter."

Her eyes are wary as they stare at me, "What if she doesn't return before that day?"

I couldn't even take my mind to the thought of Anna not making it back on that day and though I have no idea how she will, it the only sane thing to hold on to. "I'll keep praying that she does."