25: Changing the plan

"Nothing can wear you out like caring about people."
~S.E. Hinton

As the door closes behind Rosalinda, I pull out my phone and I dial Anna's number. I needed to tell her things were out of control and let her know I was the cause of it and also for her to know what I was about to do, I felt like she needed to hear it from me and though she hasn't said anything in the last few days, I know she knows what has been happening and at least now I come out with it.

Anna told me that the closer I got to those around Eli, the more my chances of exposure was but this isn't about me getting caught which was a very good thing, this was about me making someone happy and I don't know if that exists in Anna's dictionary but she had to include it. Nothing has gone according to plan since last week and eighty per cent of it wasn't even my doing, and so I need her to listen to what I have to tell her.

The phone rings for the first time but there is no answer. I dial the number again and it rings but no answer comes back, Anna told me that I should never call, but this can't wait, she needs to hear it. So I decided to wait for a few minutes before dialling the number for the third time and this time the call is answered but it's not Anna's voice I hear at the other end of the line rather it's a more masculine voice.

"Hello?"

My eyes narrow suspiciously, "Where's Anna?" And I ask with suspicion.

The man unwilling to answer asks, "Who's this."

"Where is Anna?" I repeat my question.

He seems to have gotten pissed off with my questioning as well, "Who the hell is this?"

I do not reply instead I say, "Give the phone to Anna, I need to talk to Anna."

"Anna," the voice calls out from across the other line, "there's an annoying lady on the phone, she wants to talk to you."

My teeth clench at his label but knowing there's nothing I can do, I silently wait for Anna to speak while wondering why she would let someone who isn't her, answer the call in the first place.

"You keep breaking the rules as well as the terms and condition on and on." Anna's voice comes through the phone, mischievous and slightly angry, "It's almost as if you don't care about the lives of your friends as much as you claim."

My heart skips a beat and the anger I had towards the man for calling me annoying fades away, "I have followed your rules for the past few days and-"

"By first breaking them." she pointed out, "do you think I wasn't going to find out?"

I swallow, "I wasn't."

"You were and you know I can't punish you, you have to be in one piece to finish your obligations and I already warned you of what is to come if you didn't do as you are told. Rule #12 states, avoid Elizabeth and you did exactly the opposite."

"I did, but then I realised the error of my ways and I returned to the rules and regulations immediately after. I've treated everyone as you taught me just like your rules and term states but if your spies fed you the accurate information about the events of the past week, you will realise that nothing has gone according to plan since I've been here and it all started with the fight you had with Eli on the day of the switch. Sight being lunch has also played a major role in where we are. Eli is not the same workaholic man he used to be, he's making more time for Anna and which wasn't how we planned out though he's currently in the UK, he keeps contact almost every day."

She seems to silently digest all the info I just gave her before speaking, "What are you saying, you want more money?"

I groan and drag my hand over my face, "Everything isn't about money, Anna, your rules aren't working but with your training, I can work through the next eleven days. Try to make them like Anna a little more than they already do and that would mean disregarding some of the rules and regulations of the contracts."

"That would mean I have to change."

"Almost everyone around you hates you and I think you know that. I am not asking you to become someone else, I am asking you to puts little effort into being a little more welcoming to those around you, especially those that aren't out to attack you. That's what I'm going to do and you don't have to pay me because I am not doing this for you I am doing it for Eli, I believe he deserves that at least." I complete my words and drag a deep breath.

There is another pause on the line before her voice comes back, "You like him and also care about him. A lot." her observation is on point even though she's so far away.

I feel my heart skip, at her words. But it isn't a crime, he is a good man and it shouldn't be hard to like or care for a man that loves you and cares about you unless you're a monster.

My eyes drop and my cheeks heat up, "Yes, Anna, I care about him, he's an amazing man." And he's unlucky to have fallen into your hands.

"If you feel that you can do this new plan of yours and play your role of being a replacement, then fine. As long as you keep the last rule. Have each occurrence of the day jotted down so I can go through when I return."

I nod vehemently even though she can't see me. "Yes, I can and I am doing this so you can have a happy life so the least you can do is to stop threatening me with hurting those I care about."

"Do what is necessary, I will be keeping an eye on you. Do not call again." With that said the call ends.

I set the phone down on the lamps and sit down on the bed. Anna was more responsive than I ever thought she'd be in a million years and I wonder why that is, but I stop thinking after realising I probably would not find the answer to that curiosity. It could be because of that strange man she was with. I don't want to think about what might not be true, but the man she should be with during this period is Eli, but what do I know? I'm just a replacement with rules to follow.