Chapter 3

I hear the ocean from far away

I walk across the dream over the forest

Your voice echos in the penthouse hallway: "Mom, the queen has arrived!"

Your voice echos in the penthouse hallway: "Mom, the queen has arrived!". After a fashion shoot downtown for Marie Claire magazine, your uber dropped you off. Your face has been loved since 2016. Of course, this prestigious magazine books you every time.

You heard your mom shout back from further down the hallway, "I'm in the cellar

You heard your mom shout back from further down the hallway, "I'm in the cellar.".
The first time you meet someone, you think of your beautiful mother and smile. The fact that your mother is white usually surprises them.

It was an odd phenomenon among your friends in elementary school. It was your responsibility to explain to the poor clueless Grade 1s what "mix raced" means.

"What are we celebrating?" you ask, looking at her questionably.

She examines the labels on a few bottles she's taken out, her eyes squinting in concentration. You find it amusing. Her blonde hair falls flat over her eyes. Collecting delicious wines is her thing. She doesn't see the point in going shopping or dining out when she hasn't gotten her hands on an expensive bottle of wine.

Her fondness for wine stems from her brother, who owns a highly profitable farm in Cape Town, South Africa. Your Dutch grandparents are extremely wealthy and part of the Billionaire Legacy Club in South Africa. Your mom was set to marry a prosperous farmer in Ceres, known for farming fruits like peaches, pears, and nectarines.

"Oh, Baby...I'm thinking of making you a lovely, succulent steak for dinner. Your Dad loves wine, so I'm thinking of making a nice, red wine-saturated steak," she furrowed her brow in thought.

""Whoa, hold up... since when did Dad start scoring dinner dates with you? I heard he's seeing a jazz musician. No, no, no way, Mom! Don't even think about reconciling. You and him? You're like oil and water, totally incompatible." As you scrunched up your nose, you let out a slight shudder.

Her lips are pursed as she looks at you. ""Oh, come on now, your dad and I are tight. He can see whoever he likes, and I'm cool with it—I'll be cheering him on. Nah, no chance of us getting back together. Thanks, but no thanks. He's swinging by to give me a hand with selling my dance school. I've decided to start a casting agency for kids."