The void

"I never wanted the throne. I only wanted to be your equal."

But I always knew that you're my equal. Thor thought when he remembered his brother's words.

How could he be so blind to not see his brother suffering? He would do anything to bring his brother back to his side.

But Loki is not here.

"I could've done it father, I could've done it for you, for all of us. "

Thor could see his brother searching their father's face, looking for some kind of approval, some kind of redemption, but all he sees is disappointment and regret.

"No, Loki. " Odin said quietly.

He saw how Loki's face crumpled, hope vanished from his face when he heard those two words.

And then Loki let go.

Why did Father have to tell him no when he was hanging by Gungnir? Why a simple no?

"NO! " He screamed but Loki, his little brother whom he swore to protect when they were young, was already falling.

And he just watched as darkness swallowed his brother.

Thor was staring into the darkness of the void after his father hauled him.

If only he acted faster, his brother would be by his side. But he knows that he failed.

He was about to go after his brother, maybe Loki is still near, and he could catch him but there were arms holding him back.

He looked at his father through his blurred vision.

"Father! LET GO OF ME, I can jump and save Loki, he is still near and I can catch him. "

"It's too late! He is dead." He said, using his own weight to hold Thor down.

"He is right here father, I could save him! " Thor screamed, tears running down his face.

"HE IS GONE!" Odin shouted, his eye filled with tears like his son. "We can't save him, my son. He is gone. " Tiredness and sadness etched on Odin's face.

Thor looked at his father. "Why? " He said in a small voice as if he were a small child again.

"Thor." Odin said, hugging him.

"Why father?" He repeated as if he was in shock. "Why did he let go? I could have helped him, I could have saved him," he said, detaching himself from Odin and wrapping his arms around himself.

A sob came from him, other sobs following, thunder erupted around him.

"My brother, my little brother," he said and looked at Odin. "I want him back, bring him back, father. " He sounded so young and lost.

"I am sorry, I am sorry. " Odin said, tears running down from his eye.

"H-Heimdall, c-can see h-him. " Thor said and stood up eagerly. "I-I must g-go to him now. "

"Thor, Heimdall can't see what's in the void. "

"But he was right here, father! He must be near us and Heimdall can see him. " Thor argued with his father.

"Please Thor. " Odin pleaded. "Let's go back to the palace. "

"But..... " Thor tried to protest but Odin had already grabbed Grungir. The world around him blurred and he found himself back in the palace.

Queen Frigga was waiting for them in the palace. Her husband was leaning heavily on her older son, tears running down Thor's Cheeks, no sign for her younger son. Her handmaiden 'Gna' was standing beside her.

"Where is Loki? " she asked, looking at her husband and her son.

Thor's face crumpled. "It's my fault. "

"What fault? Where is my Loki? " she said, raising her voice at the second question.

"He died. " Odin's voice held no emotions but Frigga could see behind her husband's mask.

She felt her heart break at these words. "Husband! Where is my son? "Odin must be wrong and Loki will come to the palace at any moment.

"Mother, I-I destroyed the Bifrost and it's my fault. " Thor stammered, looking at the floor.

"He fell into the void. "

"Fell? And why didn't someone catch him? " There was something that they weren't telling her.

Odin couldn't meet her eyes while she was looking at him sharply, trying to look like the queen she is supposed to be, but she felt like her world was shattering.

"Amma," Thor called her by the name that he and Loki used to call her by when they were young. "I tried, Amma, but-but he let go. "

Before she says anything, Odin's knees buckled and his eye closed, but Thor was able to aid him before he fell.

"Your father needs to go back to sleep. " Frigga said. "Odinsleep was interrupted, take him to his chamber to rest."