Chapter 9 : Awkward

♡Jessica Woods♡

"Why are you so silent today?" dad questioned sipping his water.

"I'm always silent." I stated flatly and forked a piece of bacon into my mouth, avoiding the unusual curious gazes of my mom and my brother who were sitting across me.

"You okay honey?" dad asked concernedly, turning his full attention to me.

I'm not, dad.

I sighed and placed the fork down before looking at my dad who was sitting beside me.

"I'm fine dad." I forced out a smile at him and he searched something on my face for a few seconds before smiling back at me.

"So young man.." dad shifted his attention back to Alex and I resumed eating, tuning out as they were talking about the latest football match.

Is there anyone who'd hug me and tell me 'you're not okay, tell me what happened' when I say 'I'm okay'?
----

"What did Jace tell?" Louise asked me turning down the volume of radio as soon as I got into the car.

I let out a sigh and leaned back on the seat as I didn't know from where to begin. "Well.. he said it's better not to talk with me."

Driving the car at a slow speed, Louise gave me a quizzical look. "Why is that?"

"Because he doesn't want to break our pinky promise. Remember? that pinky pro-" she cut me off.

"Yeah, yeah. you've told me." Louise stated quietly, focusing ahead. We both didn't utter any word as she didn't know how to console me while I didn't want to recall yesterday's incident.

"I thought he'd fight for you." she broke the silence and I snorted, looking at her.

"Why would he? I mean, who am I to him? sister? friend? girlfriend?" I asked and she shrugged.

"Who knows, maybe the last one." she wriggled her eyebrows suggestively and I shook my head in disbelief.

"I'm a stranger to him while Oliver is his best buddy. So without any doubt, he would stand for Oliver." I explained and she rolled her eyes.

"Forgive me but I'm always team Jace." she pouted and I frowned playfully.

"Traitor."

She giggled and I giggled back and sometimes I've wondered what would I do if Louise didn't come into my life after my break up with Sarah.

Louise parked the car in our school parking lot and I grabbed my bag from the backseat before stepping down.

"Jessie. I wanna return the library books so you go ahead. I'll meet you in our second period." she chirped and I gave her the thumbs-up sign as we both walked in the opposite direction.

I ignored all the irritating gazes as I made my way towards the locker room. As I expected, Natasha's locker was surrounded with her friends group and all of their gazes were fixed on me except Jace's who averted the gaze to the locker when he noticed me.

Today I wasn't in the mood either to sad because of Jace ignorance or to be happy because of Samuel's intent stare so I pretended to ignore them as I walked past her locker.

"Hey." Samuel's voice made me stop and I heard Jace cursing although I turned around and Samuel nodded me to come closer and I did so.

Natasha and Samuel were leaning on the locker while Jace and Ryan were standing in front of them bu when I approached them Jace said something to them hastily and turned around which made our eyes lock with each other for a split second as he rushed past me and Natasha too muttered something to Ryan and Samuel before following Jace, calling out his name.