Chapter 10

1 year later

1 year later

Angharad Jaeger had come to the conclusion that she would most likely never see her brother again. Her older brother, Grisha, who had held her for days while she cried for their younger sister, Faye. The one who'd taught her how to wear her armband proudly as she walked down the street, and not to cower in fear of the Marleyans. She remembered what he'd looked like the day she was forced to leave. Hair parted in the middle, glasses sat low on his nose.

What she was not expecting was to find him in the same spot as she was found by Keith Shadis. She sat high on Onyx as she stared down a brunette man she was absolutely positive was her older brother.

"What's your name?" She demanded.

"Angharad." The man called up to her. "It's me. It's Grisha." He all but dropped to his knees as he pleaded with her to recognize him. "I'm your older brother."

"Grisha." Onyx rocked underneath her, sensing her growing emotions. "Is it really you?" she gasped.

"It's me." Grisha nodded. Ang reached a hand down to her brother and hauled him onto the back of Onyx. "We'll talk in a few minutes. For now let's get inside the walls."

"Have you been here for the past 4 years?" He asked from behind her shoulder.

"Shh! Keep your voice down." She scolded. "I promise, I'll explain everything." She led Onyx through the tunnel gate. She allowed Grisha to dismount the horse before she touched down on the ground after him, leading Onyx's reigns through the crowd. She looked around for Carla before deciding to head towards the bar. Ang turned over her shoulder to ensure that Grisha was still following her before tying Onyx to the post outside the tavern.

"Let's get inside." She shoved her green cloak into her saddle bag, now dressed in only her tan Scout jacket, before she turned and opened the door for him to walk in first. Grisha walked through the door nervously as she led him towards the bar in the middle of the room. Carla was standing behind the bar, clad in the same outfit as the day she met her 4 years ago. Her puffy sleeved shirt, red bodice, and ankle length skirt. Angharad suddenly felt as if she were 19 again, and no longer 23, only now she'd taken the place Commander Shadis stood on the day she was found.

"Angharad!" Carla gasped and lunged over the bar to hug her. "I'm sorry I wasn't there to see you come through the gate. One of the other girls is sick and needed me to cover for her." Grisha stood awkwardly behind her, staring so suddenly at the beautiful woman behind the counter. Carla caught the man's gaze over her shoulder. Ang turned and looked at her brother.

"This is...my brother." She thought about lying but decided to tell the truth. She trusted Carla. She didn't need to lie to her. "He found me coming through the gate today." Grisha stared at Angharad in obvious confusion. "He's a doctor, from Northern Shiganshina. I guess he's been looking for me all these years." She laughed, hoping the lie was believable. "And here I've been living at Scout HQ for the past 3 of them. He'd just barely missed me." Carla turned to Angharad before turning towards the man once again.