Chapter 21

Petra Ral didn't often spend her days off with anyone else other than her best friend Layla Jones

Petra Ral didn't often spend her days off with anyone else other than her best friend Layla Jones. Although Layla was a few years older than herself, Petra admired and looked up to the woman who was often mistaken for her twin. Layla Jones was a charismatic and lively 22 year old woman. She enjoyed training with her teammates, snacking on anything remotely sweet, and when she could, giving Jeremiah Gray heart eyes when she thought he wasn't looking, which Petra often teased her for.

She happened to be doing just that when Lieutenant Angharad Jaeger came up to them and invited Layla to accompany her to the training grounds to "see about any new recruits." Even Petra knew she just wanted an excuse to see her nephew and his friends.

"You can come too, Petra." Ang turned to the other strawberry redhead with a smile.

"Oh! I don't think the Captain will let me leave." Petra blushed at the thought of Levi, having harboring the biggest crush on Humanity's Strongest. "In fact, I think my squad has a few cleaning assignments to finish before the end of the day."

"He's not even here today." Ang laughed gently and put a hand on the young woman's shoulder. "Come with us, it will be fun."

"Okay. Let me get the horses ready." She smiled with a salute to the blonde woman before her.

"You don't need to salute me. We're technically off duty today, despite me still wearing my uniform." Angharad looked down to her outfit, a black tank top and the military's signature white pants. Angharad looked up again when she remembered something important. "Be careful with Onyx. He's getting old and grumpy, so he might try and nip at you when you're buckling the saddle."

Pretty soon, they were off, Petra and Layla giggling like schoolgirls as they relaxed in their own saddles for the remainder of their journey. They arrived a couple hours later, tying their horses near the front gate, and heading towards the growing crowd around the ODM aptitude test.

Angharad cursed her short height as she struggled to see over the taller cadets. She adjusted her Scout jacket as she made her way around the crowd, Layla and Petra tailing behind her. Angharad finally came to an open space big enough for the three of them, although she was now standing slightly behind the large contraption. She could see the Commandant standing tall before the cadets of the 104th, his hands tucked behind his back. The instructor turned to his left and nodded, and Ang looked to see the three familiar faces of Eren, Armin, and Mikasa, along with a tall, blonde cadet and an even taller male cadet with dark hair.

Eren stepped forward and turned around to hook the cables to his hips. He hadn't seen her standing there yet, and she wondered if maybe that was a good thing, there was no extra pressure to pass if he didn't know she was watching his final test. The Commandant stared down at the young boy with an unwavering gaze.

"Eren Jaeger, are you ready?" Angharad's eyes suddenly whipped over to the instructor with a gasp. So this is where he's been for the last few years.