Chapter 18

Levi wasn't stupid

Levi wasn't stupid. He recognized the signs of depression in Angharad as well as he'd seen it in himself and his own behavior. After he'd caught her destroying her office a few weeks after the Fall of Shiganshina, she'd thrown herself into her work, drowned herself in it.

She was hardly eating during mealtimes, instead she simply sat at their table pushing her food around while she drank her tea. She continued to fret over her squad and comrades, mothering them to the point that he didn't think she could get worse and yet she figured out a way. She hadn't openly mentioned anything about her nephew or his friends, and rumors had begun to spread around the new base inside Wall Rose. Rumors that she hadn't found them, or she finally found out their fate, that they'd been lost with the district from where she herself originated.

But only her closest friends knew the truth. She'd found her nephew and his two best friends. But not Carla. And now her brother was missing, disappeared, and gone despite him having been in the interior when Shiganshina fell. Still, Angharad had ignored the swatting hands and various exclamations of "Lieutenant, I'm fine."

Even now, as she ran alongside her squad for their morning training, she occasionally looked over her shoulder to make sure they were all still there, keeping up with her. Levi shook his head and turned back to his own squad, who had just finished their own morning laps. Levi said nothing, only nodded for them to continue their usual routine.

Eld, Gunther, Petra, and Oluo. Four individuals he had personally handpicked for his Special Operations Squad when he'd been promoted to Captain and Squad Leader. At first, he'd denied the position, not wanting to be responsible for another person's life after Farlan and Isabel. But Erwin had reminded him that their fate had not been his fault, that the severity of the rain that day had been an unfortunate circumstance. Angharad had eventually been the one to convince him, reminding him that he needed something to be in control of, that he could use this opportunity to train and mold his squad into something amazing.

Levi hated that she knew him so well. They'd only known each other for less than 2 years and it seemed she'd already figured him out. So he'd accepted, and he'd been the pickiest squad leader she'd ever seen. Eld Jinn was his second in command, being the most levelheaded and focused. There was Gunther Schulz, mostly known as the jokester in his squad, but still a great well rounded soldier. Oluo Bozado, who tried to be serious most of the time, scolding Gunther when he wasn't taking training seriously, yet would only end up embarrassing himself. And he was hopelessly in love with Petra Ral, a short, kind redhead who was both quick on her feet and zipping through the air with the ODM gear.

Levi hated to admit it out loud, but he'd come to care for his squad. He knew what they liked and disliked the most in training. He knew that Oluo tried to emulate him in the hopes the Petra would notice him. He knew that Gunther joked around as a way to keep spirits high. He knew the Eld took his role as second in command seriously, but still liked to laugh with his squad mates. He knew that Petra and Layla Jones on Ang's squad were best friends, both relating to being the only females in their groups.