Chapter 37

Trust in each other

Trust in each other.

His Aunt's voice echoed in his mind as he continued his hard ride forward. Eren looked back towards the Female Titan once more. She was gaining on them, and fast. They would need to act soon or else they would all be splattered against the trees. Levi's acoustic shell still rang through his ears. Eren looked ahead of him as Captain Levi spoke.

"Tell me, what is your mission again?" Levi kept his voice calm. "Is it simply to surrender to your emotions of the moment? No, it's not. This squad's mission is to do everything possible to keep this brat unharmed." Levi faced forwards again. "Down to our last breath."

Eren looked around at his team again. Eld, Gunther, and Petra had steeled their expressions, a newfound determination taking over. Jeremiah and Layla had nodded to each other before leaning forward in their saddle to continue forwards.

"We push forwards on horseback. Got it?" Levi's command held no room for argument.

"Understood, sir!" Petra answered for all of them. Eren felt his stomach turn. Each and every one of his teammates were given ordered to keep him safe, and they would die doing so if they had to. The thought that anyone would cease to exist because of him made him queasy.

"Push ahead?! But for how long? Not to mention it's almost on top of us now." Eren turned to glance at the Female Titan again. More reinforcements tried to engage but did not last long enough. She was relentless, taking out anyone in her path before her eyes returned to Eren. She has a goal, and she'll do anything to reach it.

"Eren! Face forward!" Gunther yelled to him.

"Don't fall out of step! Maintain top speed!" Eld input.

"Why?!" Eren began to protest. "Who can possibly stop it, if not the Levi Squad?!" Eren watched in horror as another reinforcement squad was decimated. "Another one's dead. We could have saved him!" Another whiz of ODM gear. "Another one is still fighting. We can still help him!"

"Eren! Focus ahead and keep moving." Petra called out to him.

"Are you telling me to ignore the fighting behind us?! To just run away and abandon my comrades?!"

"Yes, we are! Do as the Captain says!" Layla was the one who answered this time. The other redhead had taken up position on his other side.

"I don't understand why we are letting them die. And I don't understand why he won't explain anything! Why?!"

"Because the Captain doesn't feel the need to explain." Oluo yelled back. "But you don't understand that because you're still wet behind the ears. Now shut up and follow orders!"

Eren wanted to protest when he had a sudden thought. Looking down as his thumb, he lifted it towards his mouth. I can fight on my own. I can end this.