18 |•Bulwark•

Previously on chapter 17

'What?!' The fox that he adored was able to shapeshift into a woman. To say the least, Sabito was shocked and flustered at the news.

"Are you crying?"

He denied. 

»»---------««

" Even the powerful needed protection sometimes

" Even the powerful needed protection sometimes." — J. R. Ward

A black-haired male in his twenties, traditionally wearing a black robe and a white haori draped on his shoulders, was enjoyingly watching the fluttering of budding leaves as it dances with life when the gentle wind blows. In his estate, he gained a chance to allow his mind to wander in peace.

Forgetting for a moment, the cursed fate gifted to him from that man; the continuing wars, bloodsheds, and inevitable demise of his beloved children. Alas, his mind still dwells regarding the increased cases of civilian people being kidnapped and murdered. He knows who is behind this event, the demon or rather the creatures who loved to kill and to eat humans that serve as their nourishment. They foretell to be the creatures of the dark who bring destruction to the ones they meet.

After many years of relentlessly pursuing to slay that cruel man. Many of his children had died in their missions before they get encountering that demon. Due to the man's cunning escapes, he still yet to detect his trace. The more he got away from them, the more he got to kill and transform more wicked demons. The frail man mourned silently. He could not help but feel distressed for the loss of another innocent life.

His silver eyes had lessened the sparks of light and now expressed in sadness and worry. While his eyebrows furrowed, he pondered in thought.

Over the years passed, the healthy pale skin on his face was now marred as if it's rotting his skin then, it spreads from the forehead up to his left eye. This led his left eye to become blind. With the illness that's marked on his skin, it reminded him that his lifespan is shortened just like the previous generation.

His bloodline was the same as him and in turn, they were cursed to die early. To break from their curse is through killing Muzan Kibutsuji, the demon who lived throughout the centuries.

He genuinely wanted to end Muzan before his sickness kills him. At this time, the silver-eyed male steeled his nerves for he adamantly refuses to lose hope. He needed his children's help. The pillars needed him since he is their chosen leader. A leader must not show weakness but strength to his subordinates.

Even though, he appears to have a calm demeanor. There were times he couldn't shake off the feeling of being powerless as his life is slowly withering away like a flower that dries up without the sustenance of water.

He was often depicted as a gentle, benevolent, and loving person. In his children's eyes, he is a respectable man even if he becomes crippled with disease. He is known as 'Oyakata-sama,' the one who founded the Demon Slayer Corps—an organization that isn't widely known nor recognized by the government.