9 | •Kairos•

Previously on chapter 8

Momentarily, the masked man in front of her didn't respond as if he hadn't caught the fox's reasoning.

»»----------««

❝Unless you're ashamed of yourself now and then, you're not honest❞― William Faulkner

Unless you're ashamed of yourself now and then, you're not honest― William Faulkner

Urokodaki, the man in his prime age. The retired water pillar. He had known the deceptive tricks of wicked demons he had slain. He had apprehended one. When he chooses to retire, he had defeated many demons. He is Urokodaki Sakonji, a great mentor and water pillar but not a merciful man to demons.

He peered into the eyes of a young fox demon. Searching for malice and hidden deceits in one's optics. Instead, what he discovered in those pairs of orbs was sincerity.

The eyes are the windows of one's soul.

The former pillar couldn't be mistaken. His sense of smell is heightened as he surely knows that the creature in front of him remains truthful to him.

He could not smell any trace of mortal blood on this young demon. If Urokodaki hadn't been willing to talk to this young fox demon. He would've seemed to kill it , the moment her eyes instantly revealed hunger similar to the slain demons.

This fox demon is a unique one.

Led by his perception. Urokodaki made a decision that may or not let him regret it. He sips again at his tea. His stiff shoulder finally eases while the tension was dimmed a little.

" Fox, why do you wish to protect my disciple? In the future, he will slay many demons." Urokodaki stated.

Anna knows the intended question for her. The tengu knows―his disciple is strong enough to kill demons, including her. He wishes to know her reason for wanting to protect Sabito.

The silverette creature would gladly answer him.

"I... He's the first human I'd ever interacted with. He's warm, kind and friendly. I want.. to... "

She recalls the frustration embedded in Sabito's visage, the downcast optics whenever he is in deep thought. The affection she felt each time the young male rubs her head. Being drawn by his kind gestures and smiles.