Chapter 6: Give Me More!

I went back to my house and went into my room. I sat and tried to imagine my real mom and what she looks like. I pulled out my phone and put it on the charger. Riley had texted me again, Hey. Are you still busy?"  I shook my head and left him red. I looked over at my laundry pile and decided laundry was a good idea. Maribellla was already down there doing her own laundry. She wasn't drunk which really surprised me.
"Hey." I said, setting my basket next to the washer.
"Hi Ashley. How was your time with your Uncle."

"It was alright. I beat some boy in Freestyle skateboarding. Even made a new friend."
"Oh really? What's her name?"
"His name is Riley."
"Is he nice?"
"Yes. He bought me lunch."
"That's great."
"I learned a couple things as well." I said. Maribella was quiet for the rest of the time she was downstairs.
I grabbed a snack and answered the phone,"Hello. This is the Casel's."
"May I speak with Maribella please?" it was Uncle Bill. "Of course one moment please." I set the phone down and called upstairs, "Mom! Uncle Bill wants to speak with you." I went to the couch and turned on the TV. Maribella came into the room and said, "He wants to take you out again."
"When?"
"Tomorrow afternoon." she said. I nodded then I asked, "Is it alright if I go to Jonah's?" She looked at me for the longest time. I thought I might've started to cry. Then she nodded and went back upstairs. I went downstairs and switched my load to the dryer.
I grabbed my phone and saw I had 2 missed calls and 5 text messages. A phone call from Uncle Bill, a phone call from Jonah and all the texts were from Riley.
"Ash? I need your help."
"Ash? I really need your help."
"There's a girl I'm in love with and I don't know how to tell her."
"Could I come over? Send me your address."
"Ash? Will you please message me? You're making me worry."
I shook my head and responded to all 5.
"Riley, I'm pretty busy still. I'll be going out of state for a little while so I won't be around. I'm sorry for your girl problem. I don't really know what to say except to tell her how you really feel. Enjoy your life and if I ever get the chance I will text you."
I called Jonah first,
"Hey what's up?"
"I'm going to be coming over soon. If that's ok?"
"Of course. You're always welcomed here."
"Thanks. Can I ask you something?"
"Can it wait?"
"Yeah. I guess so. See you." I said and hung up. Then I called Uncle Bill,
" Hiya Ashley."
"Hey Uncle Bill. What'd you need?"
"Are you interested in coming up to my place tomorrow afternoon?"
"Oh yeah sure."

"You don't have any plans with that Riley fellow do you?"
"Oh no. He keeps texting me and he just asked if he could come over. I told him I was going outta state and I'm pretty sure with everything that you just told me that will be happening isn't it?"
"That's a pretty good assumption. I'll see you tomorrow." he hung up.
I packed a bag and walked out the door, along with a peanut butter sandwich. Halfway to Jonah's house I saw a poor looking black lab. I ripped off a piece of my sandwich and gave it to him. I walked away and the dog followed me all the way to Jonah's. Jacob had a dog before he moved but he never took care of it, but I did.
I arrived at Jonah's and knocked on the door, the dog by my side.  Jonah answered the door and saw the dog. He laughed at me and asked, "Where'd the dog come from?" I smiled at him and said, "Just down the street. I gave him a piece of my sandwich and he followed me here." He smiled back and motioned for us to go sit on the swing.
The dog had found a stick. Jonah and I took turns throwing it. After a little while the dog laid by my feet, panting. Jonah went and got a bowl of water. While the dog was lapping up water Jonah asked, "So what's up?"
"Nothing much."

"What happened yesterday?"
"Well, I went with Uncle Bill to McDonald's in Denver and I met Riley-"
"Who's Riley?"
"Someone I met while in Denver. He saved me from going on a date with his younger brother. I won a bet."
"That's cool. You are pretty talented at skateboarding."
"Thank you." I looked at the dog and smiled.
"So what was your question?"
"If you are my protector, what are you protecting me from?"
"Your father chose me to protect you while you resided in the human world."
"So like if I got bullied?"
"Yeah, but I believe you would be able to stand up for yourself, but I'm assigned to protect you from Warlock Jake."
"Is he allowed in Winterland though?"
"Well, yes and no. Yes because he steals from families. No because he brainwashes people into believing he is a good warlock."
"So why are you protecting me from him?"
"He wants to kill your family."
"Why?"
"That's something your uncle should answer."