Chapter 10: Salt Lake City, Utah

I don't remember getting out of the car and into a bed. I walked downstairs to find Zuko sprawled on the floor next to Jonah. Uncle Bill was in the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and Uncle Bill smiled at me and said, "Good Morning! Did you sleep well?"
"Like a rock!" I said, smiling back at him.
"Did it hurt?"
"Yeah, kinda." I said. We both laughed and I helped him make breakfast. I sat down at the table and Zuko ran in and laid down on my feet. Shortly after Jonah strolled in and sat down across from me.

"Morning." he said. I nodded to him and looked at Uncle Bill as he sat down. I felt Zuko wag his tail and move around. Jonah smiled and said, "He's licking my foot!" then he started to laugh. Uncle Bill and I joined in. I snapped my fingers and Zuko was back at my feet, then we ate our food.
I went back upstairs and into the bathroom. I walked out the same time Uncle Bill was next to a door and mumbling to himself. Concerned, I asked, "Is everything alright Uncle Bill?" He looked at me and smiled. Then he nods and goes through the door.
Back in my room I looked out the window and saw Jonah playing with Zuko. I think Jonah knew I was watching because he looked up towards my window and waved to me. Before I could wave back Zuko pounced on Jonah. I laughed and then heard a knock on my door. I turned to see Uncle Bill standing in the doorway. "May I come in?" he asked. I nodded and closed the curtain to the window. Uncle Bill sat on the bed and I sat down next to him. He put his hands in his hair and rubbed his head. I stared at him as he mumbled again.
"What?" I asked.
"It's hard."
"What is?"
"Not being able to see my sister-in-law."
"Mom?"

"Yes. It's also hard being without Lucy."
"I understand Uncle Bill. It was hard for me to live under the same roof as Maribella without Dad. Which reminds me, Why was Dad the only one who came to see me and not Mom too?"
"I honestly don't know Ashley. I have something for you. It's a gift from your mother and father." Uncle Bill said. I watch as he pulls out a small blue box with a gold ribbon tied into a bow. He handed it to me and I opened it. I gasped as I held onto a necklace. It was a gold chain with a stone in the center of a star. Stunned by the blue stone I asked, "Is this a birthstone?"
"It is." Uncle Bill said.
"I thought I was born in July?"

"No. You were born in September. Your father had the date changed for whatever reason he had."
"Which stone is this?"
"Sapphire."
"So What's my birthday then if it's not July 18th?"
"September 18th, 2001." Uncle Bill said. I looked towards the window and saw buildings. I looked back at him and asked, "Where are we Uncle Bill?" He got up and stood next to me. "Salt Lake City, Utah." he said. I did a little squeal in my head and smiled as I thought to myself, Ok Riley sign me up!
Once Uncle Bill left my room I called Riley.
"Hello?" He answered.

"Ah you answered!" I said, excited.
"I did. What's up?"
"You are never going to guess where I am!"
"Utah."
"Where in Utah?"
"Salt Lake City."
"How do you know?"
"If I concentrate really hard on one's future and their intentions I know where they are."
"Stalker."
"No, I just care."
"Whatever. So did you sign me up?"
"I did. Tonight at 6:30."
"Holy. Thank you so much. What time is it now?"

"5:30. You might want to think about leaving soon. It's quite a skate away."
"You're here aren't you?"
"I am."
"Then why can't you just come and get me?"
"I didn't offer. Remember you don't want me to give you a reason for liking you."
"Riley?"
"Yes?"
"Will you please pick me up for the Skatepark?"
"I would love to. Send me your address and I'll be there in a bit."
"OK. See you soon." I smiled as I sent him the address. I ran downstairs and said, "Jonah?"
"Yeah?"

"Uncle Bill?"
"Present."
"I have been entered to skate at Skatepark! Riley is coming to take me there. I am on at 6:30 sharp so don't be late." I said, not bothering for permission. I was almost 18 anyways, I don't need permission to go out.
I skipped out the door to Riley's Impala. I smiled as I climbed in.
"Well, somebody's excited!" Riley said as he drove away. I smiled and stared out the window. Curious, I asked him, "What else can you do?" He smiled at me and held his hand out, not for me to hold but so I could see flames come out of his palm. I smiled and did the same thing. He smiled and we were silent the rest of the way.
Riley gave me an Official Pass and we walked through the gates. I grabbed my skateboard and waited in line for my name to be called. "And next up we have a girl who has sick moves and goes by the name ASH!" I waved at Uncle Bill and Jonah as I rolled out to kick some Proskaters butt.
I rode in the backseat of Uncle Bill's pontiac counting my money over and over. I had gotten first place against the famous Pro skateboarder Jereme Rogers. He wasn't the real Jereme Rogers but that was what he was introduced as. I had won 10 grand. I was still smiling as we pulled into our parking space back at the hotel we were staying at.