Chapter 8: My Powers

I was standing next to Zuko when Jonah made me so mad I felt like a huge fireball. He made me angry by saying, "You look like an antelope when you run! When you walk you look like a pineapple with legs! Did Maribella ever tell you to do squats before? You might want to lose a little of that pineapple weight I mean WOW!" I got so mad because Jonah can never keep a straight face when he insults me.
I looked over at Uncle Bill and he was nodding as he wrote something on a piece of paper. "Wish for a storm" Jonah told me.  I did and suddenly there was a storm just in our backyard. Jonah smiled and asked, "If you could be any animal what would you be?" I didn't think about it but suddenly I felt a growl come out of my mouth. Zuko barked and growled back at me. I looked at Uncle Bill again and he nodded, adding something to the paper. I shook my head and looked at Zuko. He was rubbing his head against my leg. I patted him on the head and looked at Jonah. I smiled at him. I could never stay mad at somebody, especially Jonah.
I woke up the next morning at 10:30 in the morning. I never oversleep. I sat up and looked around, Zuko wasn't on the bed. I got up slowly and quietly. I crept down the stairs and stopped when I heard Uncle Bill and Jonah talking about me.
"You need to go with her." I heard Uncle Bill say.

"Can't you come with too?"
"You know I can't Jonah. As much as I want to. The council won't allow it. Besides you're the protector not me."
"You're her Uncle."
"I am but I'm not allowed inside anymore. I broke the rules remember.?"
"How?"
"I promised her father I'd never leave Winterland but I did. When he died the Council saw me as a traitor to the King's wishes."
"When are we going to move?"
"Once she wakes up. We will pack and then leave."
"I'll go get her."

"Let her sleep in a little while longer. We're not in any hurry. Well I'm not anyways."
"OK."
"Zuko is bouncing around, maybe you should take him outside."
"I just took him out 10 minutes ago."
"Oh. Well." Uncle Bill said and I silently hurried upstairs.
I went to the bathroom and went downstairs. I went straight to the kitchen. Jonah smiled at me as he said, "Bill has the results."  I made some toast and sat down next to Uncle Bill on the couch. "Jonah said you have results?"
"Yep."
"What are the results for?"
"Your powers of course."
"I figured as much so, what are they?" I asked the same time Jonah came in and said, "Fire."
"Wind." said Uncle Bill.
"Shape shift." Jonah said.
"And everything else." Uncle Bill said.
"What do you mean everything else?" I asked confused, I didn't do that much did I?
"Ashley, some witches and wizards are capable of having more than power. Most powers come from your ancestors. So obviously one of your ancestors had the same abilities you do."
"So I have some of your powers?"
"You get the weather control from me."
"OK, I have another question."
"OK, what is it?"
"You said I'd be ready when I saw Mom right?"
"Yes?"
"What exactly did you mean? When I saw her?"
"I don't really know. Why do you ask?"
"She was in my dream last night. Well, I think it was a dream but it felt so real."
"Did she say anything?"
"Yes."
"What did she say?"
"She said 'My beautiful child.'" I said.

Jonah looked at Uncle Bill and asked, " Does that mean?"
"Yes, I think so." Uncle Bill said. I looked at both of them and said, "I am still here you know.  Uncle Bill looked at me and said, " You can tell the future. That ability tells me that you are a Mist."
"A Mist?"
"Mist's have many powers and the powers are from everywhere. You've inherited them all."
"Is that good? Or bad?"
"Both really. It's good because you have an advantage against Jake. Bad because Mist's are really rare and others wish they were Mists. So overcome by loss they want to kill." Jonah said.
"They won't want to kill me if I don't tell them."

"They'll still find out." Uncle Bill whispered.
"How?"
"Most witches and wizards are born knowing whether who they're talking to is human or not."
"How come I didn't know that about Riley. Or you?"
"Your father didn't want you to know right away."
"Know what?"
"That you were a witch."
"It always comes back to that. Dad this. Mom that. Protection."
"You should go pack Ashley. We will be leaving soon." Jonah suggested. He put his hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off.
I ran upstairs with Zuko right behind me. I grabbed my phone and texted Riley.
"Hey Riley. We are going to be leaving Castle Rock soon. I have no idea where we are going. I have a question for you though." Almost right away I got a response.
"Sure. What's up?"
"Did you know I was a witch right away? Be honest."
"I'm always honest with you. And yes I did. All witches and wizards are born with just knowing."
"Yeah. I just learned that. Is Brandon a wizard?"
"No. he's adopted."
"Oh. Cool. Look, I gotta go back. Text you later."
"Sounds Good. Later." I put my phone in my pocket and packed all my stuff.

I got outside and played fetch with Zuko for a little while. Then we all got in Uncle Bill's car and we drove to who knows where.