Chapter 19: Entering the gates

We didn't arrive at the gates until after 1am. I looked around for some guards but there weren't any. "Where are the guards?" I asked Jonah or whoever would respond to me. I turned to look behind me but there was nobody to be seen. Where did they go? They were just here. I thought. I looked up into the snow covered trees to see if maybe he turned into something without me noticing. No luck. "What's going on? Where are you guys?" I wondered aloud.

Jonah, Riley, Leaf, Wonder, Shadow, and Zuko had seen a beautiful light that had led them away from the gates. Right into a cage. "What the-" Jonah started. He heard tiny footsteps and heard Leaf say into his ear, "It's OK guys. We are in a warp."

"What is a warp?" Jonah asked.

"If you please I will explain. A warp is a magical barrier that prevents any male travelers and animals from entering the gates until you are the Princess, or you state your business."

"That makes a lot of sense Leaf, but when do we get out?" Riley asked.

"As soon as the Master decides on Princess Ashley." Leaf said and all was silent.

"OK seriously you guys. This isn't funny anymore. Actually it never was to begin with." I cried out loud. Suddenly there was a burst of light and on the other side of the gates stood Liare.

I moved to him slowly and waited for him to say something.

"I am going to ask you a series of questions. You're to answer them truthfully. If your answers match up with mine you and your companions will be allowed to pass. If not, you will have to state your business for coming and a demonstration that none of you are a threat. Understood?" he said, without taking a single breath.

"Ahh, yeah." I said.

"Swell. What is your name?"

"Ashley Lynn Star."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"What is your father's name?"

"Brad."

"Your mothers?"

"Sabrina."

"Brother and sister?"

"Thomas and Sandy."

"Who is your sister getting wed to?"

"Brenden from Louisville."

"Who is the greatest threat in Winterland right now?"

"Warlock Jake."

"Do you have a plan to defeat him?"

"Yes."

"Full name of your protector?"

"Jonah Reese Cane."

"Full name of your bodyguard?"

"How do you know that?"

"Answer my questions first and then I will answer yours."

"OK. Riley Alexander Alistair."

"Full name of your fiance?"

"James Micheal Allgood."

"Thank you for your time and consideration." he said and disappeared. So much for answering my one question Liare. I thought. Then suddenly another voice entered my head.

"Can you hear me Ashley?" It sounded like Thomas.

Ashley?" It was Thomas. His telepathy was working! I concentrated and responded, "I hear you Thomas. What is it?"

"It's working?"

"Yes. It is."

"Same something only Ashley would say."

"Um, you barely know who I am. You wouldn't know what I'd say and know it was me."

"Say my name again."

"Thomas. Seriously. I'm not some scientific experiment."

"It is you! Ashley, I'm sorry you had to leave us."

"Yeah, so am I. How does Liare know about Riley?" Suddenly the connection was lost. I turned around and saw Jonah, Riley, Shadow, Wonder, and Zuko walking up to me. Leaf was on Jonah's shoulder. "Hey! Where did you guys go?" I said, as I hugged every one of them. "In a warp." Riley says. Before I could ask what a warp was, Liare opened the gates as he answered my question, "I know of Riley because of your mother. She told the future. Welcome home Princess Ashley." I got on Wonder and we rode through, Liare bowed. When Jonah walked past Liare grabbed his shoulder. "Your father would be proud Jonah." Jonah smiled and said, "Thank you Uncle Liare." Liare nodded and looked at Leaf. "Job well done Leaf. Time for you to go home." he said.

"See you at dinner Master." Leaf said and disappeared into a puff of smoke.

We walked around the village until finally a young wood carver by the name of Jon, invited us to stay in the one bedroom he had. "A welcome home gift." he had said to me. We stayed up a little while longer until finally I fell asleep thinking; It's too bad Uncle Bill couldn't have come with us. I'll have to talk to Mother to see if she can convince the council members to allow him back in.