Chapter 17: Springland Woods

Riley helped me pack the rest of my presents into a box. I smiled and then asked, "Remember the warehouse?"

"Yes?"

"When you saw Lyndia you acted differently. I just wanted to know why?"

"Oh um well."

"Do I have to demand you to tell me?" Getting my authority voice ready. Riley laughed and said, " I just don't trust her. Her mind tricks. They don't affect me but they affect everyone else."

"Not me." I said.

"I know. Mists. We're so cool."

"Yeah. So.."

"She made my Dad abandon me. I was only 5. My father ended up bringing me to the city, put me in an orphanage and left me. I escaped when I was 9 and met the family of the Johnsons. They took care of me. Well whenever I asked for it. I lived on the streets most of the time. It was hard."

"I get it. Except I didn't live on the street. I spent most of my nights either on the roof, in the attic, or at Jonah's."

"Yeah. I'm just hoping maybe I could trigger his memory and see what happens."

"We."

"What?"

"We can trigger his memory together. You've tried haven't you?"

"Yes."

"One Mist isn't going to work."

"How do you know?"

"I read up on it. You think a lot when you sleep."

"I'll keep that in mind. Shall we go?"

"You go. I gotta say goodbye to this gorgeous room." I said. Riley bowed and left my room. I smiled as I ran my hand down the canopy curtain.

I sat on the window ledge when I heard a bird say, "I heard that Princess Ashley almost became a panther lunch." then another replied, "Yeah, her horse started glowing and then by some magic the panther was thrown against a tree."

"Oh no there he is let's go before we become panther lunch." The birds flew off and I saw Shadow waiting in the darker part of the woods. He nodded to me and I nodded back. I closed the window and backed out of my room. I left the door open and turned and ran down the hallway.

I ran past James' room and he ran after me. I laughed as he ran away from me. I got outside and walked towards Jonah, Zuko, and Riley. I smiled and said, "I am going to go get Wonder." Jonah nodded and Riley followed me to the stables. Riley put his hand on my shoulder and we stopped. "Ash?" Riley asked.

"What?"

"I am sorry I didn't tell you about my father."

"Don't worry about it. I didn't tell you about mine either."

"Yeah but still, I shouldn't be keeping things from you. Especially now that I am part of your life."

"OK. Then stop." I said and I started walking forward again. He followed me and stopped at the stable doors.

"You're quiet. Is there something the matter?" Wonder asked, concerned. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Well, I am a little nervous. I'm going home but as soon as I get there I have to fight Warlock Jake. I'm also afraid I'll lose and I won't be able to get to know my brother and sister."

"I've lost all of my family. After they have all disappeared from my life I realized how much I did love them. Even my little brother Termite. As for you all I can say is to be confident but not overconfident. Have faith." Wonder said. I got on her back and we rode out of the stable like Kate in Flicka.