Chapter 11: Training

In the morning Uncle Bill told me he had to leave. He said goodbye and Zuko joined me on the bed. He rolled onto his back and I gave him a belly rub. Around 8:30 I got up and went downstairs, my necklace hanging around my neck. I sat on the couch and read what was engraved into the stone. 'Ashley Lynn Star- Born to rule and with greatness'  Jonah came downstairs fiddling with something in his hand. I disappeared from sight and walked behind him. He sat down on the couch and Zuko jumped up next to him. I materialized behind him and tapped him on the shoulder and then hid and then I tapped him on the other shoulder and did the same thing. I sat down next to him and said, "Good Morning Jonah."

"Good Morning Ashley. Do you know who tapped me on the shoulders?" he asked. I looked back and made a face. "No. You probably just felt it."

"Yeah, you're probably right. Hey, nice necklace."

"Oh thank you. Uncle Bill gave it to me. It was from Mother and Dad."

"Sapphire?" he asked and I nodded. He smiled and looked back into his hand. I looked at the object in his hand and saw that it was a pocket watch.

"That's cool." I said.

"Thanks. It was from Dad before he died. The last words he said to me were, "Change time, time change. I have been trying to figure out what he meant by that but I haven't yet."

"Can I see it?"

"Sure. " he handed the pocket watch to me and I pressed the button on the top. It popped open and I saw the time it was stuck at. 4:30, but the second hand was still moving. I stared at it for a while then I closed it and flipped it over to see what was engraved into the back. "Jonah Reese Cane-Born to change"

I give it back to him. He looked at me in confusion. It turned the pocket watch back and forth before he looked at me and asked, "What did you see?"

"You're telling me you can't see what is obviously engraved into the back of the watch?"

"What did you see?"

"Your name and the time."

"Just my name?"

"No there is also, Born to change."

"What does the time say?

"4:30. It's stuck there. The second hand moves though."

"I wonder, what does Born to change mean?"

"So do I. Mine says Born to rule and with greatness."

"Yours is pretty obvious."

"How so?"

"Well, your mom is the Queen. So it must mean you're one of the heirs besides Sandy and Thomas. I guess the second one is because you're a great person."

"OK that is kinda obvious isn't it, but "born to change"? I can't figure that out. Do you have any powers?"

"Not yet but let's not worry about it right now."

"Why not?"

"It is time to train." Jonah said and he got up from the couch. I got up and followed him outside.

Jonah and I were in the backyard. "OK Ashley, first rule- Know your enemy, or know the weaknesses of your enemy." Jonah said as he threw a piece of wood at me. I formed a fireball and threw it at the wood. Once up in smoke and ash Jonah said, "Well done. Second rule- Be aware of all your surroundings." He started moving quickly as he threw apples at me. I felt myself freeze and noticed all the apples freeze as well. Jonah stared at me and Zuko didn't pay any attention to us. Too busy playing with his tractor. Jonah shakes out of his amazement and says, "Impressive. Third rule- Act Natural. So if somebody comes up to you and they are being so rude that you just want to hurt them or something you just act natural OK? Let's try a couple scenarios." I nodded as he backed away from me.

Then he walked slowly towards me with a wicked smile on his face. "Hey there pretty lady. How's your mum?" he asked in a somewhat drunk voice. I was about to tell him to back off before I remembered the third rule. "She is doing well. I just left for some bread." I said and he nodded and went to stand next to Zuko. Then he quickly walked past me as he grabbed my arm. He led me towards the shed and closed the door behind us. "Ashley I know you know what you have to do." Jonah said.

"I'm not going to hurt you Jonah." I said as I moved my hands toward the crate of apples and froze them. I smiled at him and walked back to the house, Zuko right behind me.

Zuko ran upstairs to my room; I was about to follow him when Jonah called my name. Jonah came in and motioned for me to sit next to him on the couch. After a minute of intense silence Joanh said, " Ashley, I want to tell you something that... I just have been scared to say before but..."

"Yes?" I probed.

"I really like you. Like how Riley liked you before you turned him down."

"Hey! I did not turn him down. I just told him I wasn't into the whole dating and then breaking up thing. He didn't technically ask me out."

"Isn't that what he did at Skatepark!?"

"No. That was a friend helping out a friend deal, and besides he offered, and I know you like me."

"You do?"

"Yeah. Uncle Bill told me on the way here. When you took Zuko out."

"I thought you were asleep?"
"I was, but Zuko's tail smacking me woke me up." I said and Jonah nodded. I went upstairs and pulled out my phone and messaged Riley.

"Hey what else do you know you stalker?"

"Well that depends what category are we talking about?"

"Are you serious? You have categories on me?"

"Yes."

"What are the categories?"

"Witch. Human.Social. Love. Future."

"What would knowing your best friend likes you be under?"

"You talking about Jonah?"

"Yes."

"Well, that would be under the first 4."

"You knew about that?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"Like I said if I concentrate hard enough I can get a lot out of people."

"Are you a Mist?"

"..."

"I'm not going to kill you if you are."

"Yes I am."

"I thought so. Could witches and wizards have more than one power if they aren't a Mist?"

"No I don't think so why?"

"Just wondering."

"You're a Mist too?"

"..."

"I won't kill you if you are."

"Yes I am. I'm going to bed. Good night Riley."

"Night Ash." he replied. I put my phone on the charger and laid in bed. I laid there for what seemed like hours until finally with questions in my head, Do I love Jonah? Riley? Or will I fall in love with this James Allgood? As I fell to sleep.