Chapter 14: Jake's History

Riley, James, and I entered the castle at dusk. Jonah and Queen Alena rushed forward. When Queen Alena saw Riley she stopped. Jonah clutched my shoulders and Queen Alena walked slowly to James to do the same thing. Riley stood behind me like a statue. I pushed Jonah away. Queen Alena let go of James and looked at Riley like he was going to do something to her. I looked at James and he nodded. "Where were you two?" Queen Alena asked, excluding Riley obviously.

"Do you have any idea what time it is Ashley?" Jonah said. I looked at James and laughed. "Wow Jonah you sound like some Dad scolding their child for breaking curfew. I wasn't aware I had either one of those." I said.

"Not funny Ashley. You could've gotten killed." Jonah said. I motioned around my body and said, "Let's take a moment and use our eyes. I am fine. Thanks to Riley I would've had to hurt Jacob."

"What!? Jacob's here?"

"Was here. He left when Ash threatened to burn his hair off. He's not coming back." Riley spoke up. I saw Queen Alena flinch at his voice. I couldn't take not knowing any longer. "Queen Alena. Why are you afraid of Riley?" I asked. She looked at me and said, "I am not afraid of him. Riley should not be here. It is against-" Riley interrupted her. "Those no longer apply to me. I am Princess Ashley's second protecter until we arrive in Winterland. When we reach Winterland I am her personal bodyguard. Your son oversaw the whole coming of union."

Queen Alena looked at James and he nodded. "It is true Mother. He has pleaded loyalty to Princess Ashley." Queen Alena looked at Jonah and then at me. Once she grasped that Riley wasn't leaving she continued from the original conversation.

"Ashley. You need to understand that dusk is when Warlock Jake comes out of his lair looking for anybody who may have spotted the princess."

"OK. I would've been able to take him." I said.

"Yeah and Riley and I would've been able to help her if she needed it." James said. Jonah groaned and said, "Which wouldn't have done much with your spring powers. I could see Riley because he is a Mist too, but not you. Also the fact that Warlock Jake has dark magic and can wipe away all of your powers and make you a wisand."

"How would you know?You don't even have any powers. What use would you be?" James said, getting angry.

"I may not have powers but I went to Protection school and learned to have some guts." Jonah said. I grabbed James' hands before he said anything else. "Guys! Shut up!" I yelled. James squeezed my hand in response and Jonah nodded, "Yes your highness." I shook my head and looked at Queen Alena, she was still eyeing Riley. "Queen Alena. I promise you that Riley will cause no harm. Right Riley?" I said looking at Riley. He bowed his head and then said, "My duties call to follow all tasks given by Princess Ashley." I rolled my eyes and looked at Queen Alena. She smiled and asked, "What happened?"

"While I was out with James we had gotten separated. I was in an old warehouse with 3 people and then it became 5 people."

"Who were they all?"

"One moment longer and I would've gotten to it." I said and Jonah gently hit my arm. Queen Alena waved him off and motioned for me to continue.

" There was the bakers man, who had led me into the warehouse blindfolded. My apparently old baby-sitter from a long time ago, Lyndia Conwell, and a broad shouldered man who stood guard over a door that had a neon sign above it say Infirmary Room. Those were the original people in the room. She started telling me things as if she was Maribella when she wasn't drunk. Then Riley and Jacob came in. Riley kept me from burning Jacobs hair off." I said. I heard Riley snorkel a laugh.

Queen Alena looked at Jonah and he nodded. Then she said, "I am going to go inform the King. You three go eat some dinner. James, Once you are done you are to go to bed right away."