Chapter 21: Darin's Tailor Shop

I woke up with Zuko by my side. "Good Morning!" Zuko said, happy. I nodded as I got out of bed. I will have a good morning. I told myself. Jon was boiling some water for hot chocolate when I stepped into the kitchen. "Good Morning Princess. I have taken the liberty to make you coco and crams. You should go across the street to Darin's and get some clothes so you can fit into the crowd." he said. I nodded as I sat down between Jonah and Riley.

"Morning Ashley. How did you sleep?" Jonah asked.

"Alright. You?"

"Good." Jonah said and I looked at Riley. I noticed a scar on his left eye. "What happened?" I asked, reaching out. Riley flinched and then let my fingers trace the line. "When Lyndia had made my father abandon me, he ended up slicing my face with a knife."

"Don't worry. We'll make him see sense today. Before I ask him questions OK?"

"Yeah." Riley said and got up and went upstairs to the room. I look at Jonah and he shrugs, "Your bodyguard." I shook my head and followed Riley upstairs.

I knocked on the door and heard Riley say, "One moment please." I waited outside the door until finally he answered. He opened the door and sat back down on the bed. I walked slowly to him and sat down next to him. Before any words were said Riley started crying. I wrapped my hand on his face and pulled him closer. He leaned his head on my chest and cried.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, rubbing his back.

"I don't know. It just hit me so fast. When you asked me about my scar, I just remembered.."

"It's OK if you don't want to talk Riley. I can just sit here and let you soak up my shirt. I'm totally OK with it." I said. Riley laughed and sat up. "I do want to talk about it though. It'll make it easier having someone know."

"OK."

"I'm going to sound like a little kid here, but I miss my Mom."

"That doesn't sound like a little kid. I mean I can't really say much since you know but still, I'm sure a lot of people miss their Mom's."

"Yeah I guess. It's just I never got to meet her. She died giving birth to me."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Thanks. I just wish sometimes I had met her. Maybe none of this would've happened. Did you know she was a Mist too?"

"I didn't. What was her name?"

"Rayne."

"I'm going to try something OK. Sit tight." I said. I walked towards the window and looked towards the castle. I concentrated and reached out to Thomas.

"Thomas? Are you there?" It was a second before he responded.

"I'm here. What's wrong?"

"Do you know anybody by the name of Rayne?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Does she talk about a child?"

"She mumbles about faking her death to save a child."

"Was it hers?"

"Yes. Are we talking about Riley's Mom?"

"Yes. Do you know where she is?"

"She is a servant in the castle here. Mother said once that Rayne was thinking that she could work there and wait for Riley to come to her. Mother knew. Rayne knew. That Riley would become a part of your life."

"Should I tell Riley?"

"That's up to you. See you at Darin's."

"Wait, what?"