Chapter 13

Evie's POV

It had been a few months since Severus had adopted me, which meant that it was early July. Term was almost over and I would be lying if I said I wasn't glad for it. I would be going to stay with Sev for a few weeks at his home in Spinners end, the we would retreat back to Hogwarts as he always did. Draco was extremely upset when he discovered about the adoption and gave me a piece of his mind whenever he saw me. He gave me the whole 'we're meant to be twins' but he needs to understand why I did it and I wasn't sure he was going to. Harry, Hermione, Ron and I had became very close. It was obvious that Harry trusted me with his life and I was honestly glad for that. I was back in the Slytherin dorms now, but still had my own room at the top of the staircase leading to the other girls dorms. Dumbledore told me it would be better if I went back there rather than stay away forever.

I turned over from a rather sleepless night and checked my clock. 7.50 AM. Breakfast started in 10 minutes. I sighed and climbed carefully out of bed. I looked out the window and I was level height with the ground, the sun was glowing everywhere; covering every inch of the soft green grass. The other Slytherin dorms did have windows, with a charm cast on them so it appeared you could look out of the window. Although you couldn't, the Slytherin dorms were located in the dungeons. However because my room was at the top I was level with the grounds and I had a proper view, not a charm. I turned away to get changed when I heard a clicking on the window. I turned around and saw the owl that was only too familiar. My mothers. I rushed quickly over to the window and let the owl in. I stroked the tawny, and he hooted in affection. I found some owl treats stashed under my bed and have him a few while he rested before making his journey back. I guess he was also waiting to see if I would be responding. I took the letter carefully and wasted no time in ripping it open. My eyes skimmed across the page as I read quickly.

Evie,

I know it has been a while darling, I know it has. I am sincerely sorry for not getting in contact sooner; your father insisted that I not write to you and he was always around. Now, as I am writing this he left for work and I finally have a chance to write to you.

Evie, words can not describe how distraught I was when your father told me about Severus. However I knew it was for the best. I want you to know I am not angry at you, and I gather that Draco will be upset but he will come around in time. Please, if your father requests anything of you; do it. I can not lose my daughter and I am afraid of what he might do. I am again sorry it took so long to write, however I have explained my reasoning.

I understand why you wanted to leave, what Lucius did to you was unforgivable and I assure you I will never ever forgive him for it. Anyway I don't want to keep you too long. Give Screech some treats if you have them; I'm sure he will appreciate it. Keep well darling and if you don't respond, I know why. However if you do reply and I don't respond right away, you also know why.

I wish you the best my darling. Thinking of you always my sweetheart,

Mother

I folded the letter carefully and placed it on my beside table in the draw. I pulled out some owl treats and fed them to Screech. He nipped my finger affectionately.

"Wait here please Screech, I'm going to reply" I told the Owl. He hooted in understanding and I  rushed over to my desk, grabbed some parchment, quill and my ink and started to write rapidly.

Mother,

I am doing well thank you I hope you are also? I understand why and that's alright, I am glad you got in touch. This is going to be a short letter and I'm sorry about that but I'm in a rush, as I need to go meet Harry. Speaking of, my task is coming along rather well but there is nothing to report. He doesn't seem to be hiding anything and this year seems to be calm. I am sorry about my decision about Severus, however I hope you understand.