Chapter 6

Loki sat there for a few minutes in silence, trying to understand the progression of events he was currently experiencing. It had to be a deception, they were just trying to manipulate him into trusting them so they could find out more about him.

"I don't understand. I've agreed to answer your questions, I've agreed to stay here until you determine I'm not a threat. Why are you trying to trick me into being under surveillance?" He was confused and perturbed, and was very aware of the fact that he was deep in a SHIELD base and grossly outnumbered.

"This isn't a trick" Romanoff said, walking toward Loki. "When Coulson said he'd found an alien in the middle of nowhere in California we were concerned. Then he told us that had it not been for you, three agents would've been taken out by a bomb all because they were handling something they knew nothing about. Fury, Hill and myself all decided you would be more valuable here than on a watchlist" she explained. Loki shook his head and sighed in tired frustration.

"Saving those agents was nothing" he stated "I saw them about to die, I intervened. It's not some special act of heroism, anyone else could've done exactly the same, and had Piper or Davis or anyone else known what that thing was, they would have." He explained. He wanted to be under the radar and he hadn't expected that saving those agents would blow up in his face so badly.

"Exactly. Had they known they would've been more careful, but they didn't know and they almost died. You knew. You knew what it was and how to minimize the damage" Loki just shook his head listening to her, and since he didn't have anything to say, she continued.

"We know this is confusing and probably unexpected. And we'd like to get to know more about you and let you do the same with us before any final decisions are made. But the truth is that we're in over our heads at SHIELD. We want to protect the earth from outside dangerous forces, but the fact of the matter is that we just don't know enough about those outside forces. You do. You could help us, and in exchange we'd be willing to help you too"

Loki rubbed his eyes and chuckled bitterly at his situation. He didn't want to be all alone again, but he couldn't put faith in the humans. If he made one mistake they would cease to trust him and he'd be surrounded by enemies.

"Help me? Help me with what? I haven't asked for anything. I didn't ask to be picked up, I didn't ask to be interrogated, and I didn't ask to be part of your secret club.  All I want is to live out my life quietly, without making enemies and without being on the run. All I've wanted since I arrived is to be left alone, in peace. Is that really too much to ask?" He was tired and it showed in his voice. He felt like he just kept being tossed from one captor to another, and the one time he'd started to feel at home again it was all ripped away. Why can the just find peace?

Agent Romanoff turned to Fury and Hill

"Can we have a minute?" She asked. Loki thought there was no way she'd be left alone with him, but surprisingly the director stood up and left the room, agent Hill following behind him.
Once they were gone Romanoff grabbed a chair and sat down in front of Loki.

"Where are you from?" She asked.

"Asgard" Loki was bored of that question and didn't try to hide that.

"And what was your job on Asgard?" She asked. Loki shook his head a bit
"I didn't have a job, I didn't need one" he stated.

"You didn't need one. So rich family then?" She speculated. Loki nodded with a shrug and leaned against the armrest of his chair.

"You could say that. What does this have to do with anything?" Romanoff didn't answer him.
"Have you ever been to earth?" She questioned.

"Not within the last several hundred years, no" he told her.