Chapter 16

Loki was frustrated but not entirely surprised when the majority of the people and places the team was called to ended up being nothing but a waste of time.

"Don't get too comfy, we just got a call and we're headed out again" Loki and the team had been living in the zephyr for five days, traveling all Over the place chasing down possible leads concerning the coming invasion. They had just gotten back from yet another wild goose chase and Loki was looking forward to going to his bunk to get a tiny bit of space from the rest of the team, but his hopes were immediately dashed when Coulson saw him sneaking away and told him that they were leaving again.

"Are you serious, we just got back not ten minutes ago" Loki was annoyed and didn't try to hide it. He was tired of being dragged all over the place just to tell them that the thing they were looking at is nothing more than a meteor fragment.

"Sorry. But hey, at least it's a short trip this time. We don't even need to take the zephyr" Coulson said in an attempt to ease Loki irritation. It was an unsuccessful attempt.

"So if we're not taking the zephyr how are we getting there? Walking?" Loki asked sarcastically, going to his room anyway so He could try and catch a few minutes of down time. Coulson followed him.

"We'll take a quinjet" coulson informed him. Loki sighed, annoyed that he still didn't know all their words.

"Quinjet?" Loki asked, and regretted it almost immediately.

"Yeah. The small jet docked on top of the zephyr. Be ready in ten minutes and meet us in the common room" Coulson explained, then left Loki to get ready to go.

Loki went against his nature and did as he was told, arriving in the common room after ten minutes. He was the only one there for a minute and then Skye showed up.

"Hey, you doing okay?" She asked when she saw Loki standing there leaning against a wall. He shrugged.

"Why wouldn't I be okay?" He asked.

"You just don't really like people and we've all been living in pretty close quarters for a few days now" she explained. Loki shrugged like he didn't really care.

"It's not the close quarters that bothers me, I've been on teams before" he told her.
"So what is it that bothers you?" Skye asked.

Loki sighed deeply and shook his head.

"I don't know. Maybe it's just knowing that if I don't make this work I have I have no where left to go" he confessed.

"What makes you think you won't make it work?" Skye questioned.

"I haven't been able to make anything work long-term thus far in my life. Something is bound to go wrong, it always does" he said, sounding very factual about it all. "And I have no idea why I'm telling you this" he added when he realized he'd been especially forthcoming with answers.
"Maybe you're learning to trust me a little bit" Skye suggested.

Loki gave her a look and stayed quiet for a minute before he realized why she chose to bring up trust.

"Nice try. I'm not telling you how I got my brand"

"Man! you're just always guarded aren't you?" Skye asked with a bit of a laugh. She didn't really think her little scheme would work, but she wasn't expecting him to catch on so fast.

"Yes I am. It also doesn't help that none of you are very subtle about it. Between questions about magic Fitz tries to sneak in questions about how I got it" Loki told her through a slight chuckle.

"Yeah Fitz really isn't very sneaky. But he did say he's enjoying talking with you about magic" Skye commented.

Loki smiled very very slightly.